HOW TO GET FUEL TO RUN LEANER

Land Rover

eszed

March, 25, 2006 AT 2:44 AM

Hi, my v8 1991 landrover discovery is spewing black smoke, how do I get to run leaner without being ripped off by those that assume I am wealthy and foolish: )

Black Smoke Coming From Exhaust

Smoking

peppermrj

March, 25, 2006 AT 7:19 PM

Easy way is to replace the air cleaner. Be sure there are no retrictions in the air inlet. Also might be time for a new O2 sensor. How many miles?

Post back. : )

eszed

March, 25, 2006 AT 7:25 PM

Shes done 166 000 km, never been for a service!

peppermrj

March, 25, 2006 AT 7:27 PM

You are overdue my friend. : Shock: Where are you located?

eszed

March, 25, 2006 AT 7:33 PM

Perth australia, heres the prob, they want thousands for the service when I am capable of changing oil and plugs, however tuning is another issue

peppermrj

March, 25, 2006 AT 7:35 PM

There is not much that can be tuned in a fuel injected vehicle. Chances are you have a bad sensor input somewhere. Do you have any engine lights lit?

eszed

March, 25, 2006 AT 7:40 PM

Nope, heres the thing, if it starts quick it doesnt blow smoke, if it starts 2nd or third time with prompting it will blow smoke so I reckon ur correct and theres a sensor that needs replacing, question where do I look

peppermrj

March, 25, 2006 AT 7:47 PM

I would start with replacing the spark plugs, plug wires, and the distributor cap and rotor (if so equipt). Run a tank of fuel with fuel injector cleaner.
Replace air filter, fuel filter, PCV valve, and check for any vacuum hose leaks.

Might be all that is needed. Post back if not. Good luck. : )

Replace Fuel Pressure Regulator
Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla