HEAVY WHITE SMOKE COMING FROM MY EXHAUST

1996 Land Rover

TWKoch

November, 4, 2011 AT 2:40 AM

I have a 96 Land Rover Range Rover 4.0. It has 321000 miles. I was driving yesterday on the highway going about 65 miles an hour when I noticed smoke coming the engine compartment. Immediately the temp gauge spiked. I stopped the car and checked under the hood. I found the radiator hose was unclamped from the radiator. I did not have tools to clamp the hose, so I used electrical tape to reattach the hose.
I was able to drive it slowly to a gas station about 1 mile away.
I wasd able to reattach the hose using the clamp.
I let the engine cool, then proceeded to fill the radiator via the coolant overflow tank with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water, roughly 1.5 gallons.

Iwas able to drive the car the 150 miles back to my home. Everyything seemed normal.
When I went to start it today, the "Check Engine" came on and stayed on. I drove it about 10 miles. The temp guage spiked again.

When I got home, I let the engine cool before adding more coolant.

When I went to start the car, the Check Engine light remained on and thick white smoke was pouring from my exhaust system. Also, the smell of burnt maple syrup was prevalent.

? How bad is this? Can I drive the car into a radiator shop, about 30 miles from my home to get it checked out? The nearest ROver Repair shop I trust is 200 miles away.

This is my only car and I have no one in the area to assist me.

Jacobandnickolas

November, 4, 2011 AT 3:36 AM

When coolant enters the combustion chamber, it burns white and has maple syrup smell to it. Therefore, you either have a blown head gasket, cracked head. Chances are it is just the head gasket. However, it needs taken apart to determine which is the problem.

Replacing Head Gasket
Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla