1997 Jeep Wrangler No Start

LIMPPEACE29
  • 1997 JEEP WRANGLER
Hello. I am having a problem getting my 1997 Wrangler SE 2.5L to start. It cranks fine, but there is no injector pulse and no spark. The ground and 5V ref are both good to the crank sensor. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Monday, August 25th, 2008 AT 4:36 PM

Do you have power to the coil and also did you check the camshaft position sensor in the distributor-This sensor is also used to synchronize the injectors.

Do you have power at the dark green and black wire on the injector harness.
Monday, August 25th, 2008 AT 4:57 PM
LIMPPEACE29
I haven't checked the cam position sensor. You say it's in the distributor? I read that it was mounted on the front of the intake manifold. There is power going into the coil. I haven't checked for power at the harness of the injector. The scanner also reported no RPMs on crank.
+1
Monday, August 25th, 2008 AT 5:11 PM
This is 2.5L correct see below

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_cam_3.jpg

+2
Monday, August 25th, 2008 AT 5:40 PM
LIMPPEACE29
Also, one more thing I forgot to add. I checked the repair manual that I have and it says that they didn't use the camshaft position sensor until 2000. So, if the manual is wrong and you are right PLEASE help me locate the sensor. I'm not questioning you, I just don't know where I'd find it. Thanks!
Monday, August 25th, 2008 AT 5:56 PM
Check underneath the rotor button not there check on the upper and rear/back edge of the flywheel cover on the driver's side. 2 bolts holds it in
-1
Monday, August 25th, 2008 AT 6:05 PM
LIMPPEACE29
Ok, I think I found. Is that the sensor that sits directly below the rotor on the distributor? I was confused because when I bought the part it was referred to just as an ignition module. It is brand new. Am I looking for power into it?
Monday, August 25th, 2008 AT 6:18 PM
LIMPPEACE29
There is one more piece of info that I'm not sure if it is relevant or not: when you put the vehicle into neutral it will crank. It will only crank in drive and neutral. I'm not sure if that means anything.
Monday, August 25th, 2008 AT 10:43 PM
Cranks on drive and neutral it shouldn't start at drive-have the park and neutral switch. Checked out

Do you have injection pulses and spark?
Monday, August 25th, 2008 AT 11:22 PM
LIMPPEACE29
I apologize, I made a typo. It cranks in PARK and neutral, not drive. There is no injector pulse or spark at all.
Tuesday, August 26th, 2008 AT 12:46 PM
Test the auto shut down relay and get back
Tuesday, August 26th, 2008 AT 1:01 PM
LIMPPEACE29
Relay itself is fine. But there is no power coming from it.
Tuesday, August 26th, 2008 AT 1:03 PM
Check fuse no.6 30amp and test for power at B1 and B3 at ASD relay see below

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_asd_2.jpg

Tuesday, August 26th, 2008 AT 2:57 PM
LIMPPEACE29
I checked the fuse, checks out OK. I checked B3, there was constant power. I checked B1, there was almost 11V when cranking.
Tuesday, August 26th, 2008 AT 7:05 PM
Turn key on and check for power at the injector/s dark green and black wire-Do you have it? If not retest the ASD relay the injectors gets its power from the ASD relay
Tuesday, August 26th, 2008 AT 10:05 PM
LIMPPEACE29
I checked the power like you said, there is nothing there. Also, the ASD relay appears to be in working condition still.
Wednesday, August 27th, 2008 AT 4:15 PM
Turn key to run at the ASD relay socket relay removed jumper B3 to B2 and recheck for power at the injector wire -do you have it-
Wednesday, August 27th, 2008 AT 6:10 PM
LIMPPEACE29
Did as you recommended, still nothing.
Wednesday, August 27th, 2008 AT 11:54 PM
Remove the ASD relay jumper B2 to B3 with a small wire-Turn ignition On-now check the injector dark green and black wire -do you have power?

BTW let me ask you again are you still getting spark?
Thursday, August 28th, 2008 AT 2:33 AM
LIMPPEACE29
I tried exactly as you previously stated and still nothing. I am not getting any spark, haven't been.
Thursday, August 28th, 2008 AT 12:05 PM
No spark and injection pulses and all I've tried leads me to believe a computer problem.

Jumpering B2 to B3 will direct power to the injectors dark green and black wire. Its not happening.

Do this at the computer check pin outs A2 and A22 for power-key in on position-Do you have it? If so were right back to the camshaft and crankshaft sensors.
Thursday, August 28th, 2008 AT 1:15 PM