Engine will not start?

EDDIETY
  • 1999 JEEP WRANGLER
I was comeing down a trail and my jeep just died like that when you turn the key it cranks but will not fire I am clueless?/
Saturday, August 16th, 2008 AT 5:47 PM

MASTERTECHTIM
You must first check for spark at spark plugs and check to see if you have fuel pressure. When you turn the key to the on position without cranking the engine over can you hear the fuel pump run in the tank for 5 seconds?

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Please run down this guide and report back.
Saturday, August 16th, 2008 AT 8:00 PM
EDDIETY
I can hear the fuel pump pressurize and I took one of the spark wires and put a screw driver in near the spark plug and there is no spark. Just wondering what I would have to replace? It is up in the mountains right now trying to get it home.
Saturday, August 16th, 2008 AT 8:32 PM
MASTERTECHTIM
Well the most common problem for no spark is the crankshaft postion sensor. If I was going to take a guess, id replace that
Sunday, August 17th, 2008 AT 11:19 AM
KAJO0301
  • 1999 JEEP WRANGLER
When I try to start my jeep it trys to start and then I turn the key off and try it again and it starts right up? I changed the battery thinking that may be it, but to no avail. Whats up?
Thursday, September 24th, 2020 AT 6:16 PM (Merged)
SERVICE WRITER
Sounds like the fuel pump is allowing the fuel to drain back into the tank. Is the no start when it has sat for several hours?
KAJO0301
Hi Paul, thanks.
Sorry i'm new to this, my jeep is a 1999 Jeep wrangler 104,000 miles, and its a manual 4.0L.

Yeah, the no start definately happens when it has been sitting, but it also does it when it hasn't sat for a very long time, however, when it hasn't sat for an extreme amount of time it is a quicker start. Also, when I turn of the jeep and try starting it right away it starts right up.
SERVICE WRITER
What I think is happening I mentioned. I would anticipate a fuel pump on it. These are a fuel pump, filter and module assy. Eventually you will get a no start if I'm right. Get it from the dealer.
Until you address it, you can turn the ignition key to the run position for a few seconds and back tht off position and back to the run again, several times to get fuel up to the motor, instead of wearing down the starter.

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_99jeep_1.jpg

.
KAJO0301
If i'm not mistaken, isn't there a sensor on the starter that recieves a signal from the ignition to "start"? Is it possible one of them is partially faulty?
SERVICE WRITER
Before we go down another path, try the key cycling like I mentioned. Let me know if it makes sense what I described. Try it for a few days, if it consistently starts up after the key cycling procedure let me know.

While there is not a sensor on the starter, there are inputs to the pcm that dictate power to the pump as well as the ignition spark control.
KAJO0301
Turning the key to ON and then back to OFF a few times works everytime, I can actually even here the pump when I turn the key to ON. So that will have to work for now. What does the cost and hassle to get that fixed look like?
SERVICE WRITER
You need a fuel pump module. You'll want to get this from chrysler. The tank has to be dropped to do it. Not sure on the cost, $500.00?
LWRDJPRIDA
  • 1998 JEEP WRANGLER
98 wrangler wont start. Turns over no problem. Fuel pump or asd relay dont click with key, but will if jumper out. Check engine light dont come on and cant get a osbII code reader to connect, to computer. Any ideas before buying a new computer.
Thursday, September 24th, 2020 AT 6:17 PM (Merged)
Check pin 16 at data link connector for voltage, fused circuit.
Forgot the connector.
KAMMILAND
  • 1998 JEEP WRANGLER
While driving our Jeep just quit, it will not start. The fuel pump is good and we've got it narrowed down to a short from the PCM to the coil. He also said a fuse keeps blowing when ignition is turned on. The jeep cranks, but won't fire at all. Can we narrow it down any further without taking it to a dealer? Help please !
CHEII
Depends on what fuse is blowing? Need to find the circuit and check for a short to ground

lmk

jim
KAMMILAND
I wrote in once about this jeep not starting. The fuse that keeps blowing when the ignition is turned is the run/start fuse. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
RETIREDAUTO
I dont wave a schematic in front of me, but it sound like something in ignition poss. A shorted coil? If you can remove blown fuse install a test light to fuse terminals, key on it should light up(dead short) try unplugging components(coil crank sensor, etc) and inspect harness for any chafing /rubbing through. That is around starter/coil/etc. When you find short light will go out. Good luck let me know what you find?
68GTOCONV1
  • 1997 JEEP WRANGLER
I have a no start problem. All sensors are new, ASD is functioning fine. No spark and no injector pulse. All fuses are good and I have full power at the pdb.
Thursday, September 24th, 2020 AT 6:18 PM (Merged)
KASEKENNY1
Have you check for a crankshaft sensor signal? The PCM uses the crank to determine spark and fuel timing.

I included a test for no starts but I would just jump to the PCM and see if the crank has a signal. It would be great to see a lab scope pattern of it but since you don't have spark or fuel, I imagine the crank sensor is the issue.

Sponsored links