1996 JEEP CHEROKEE BATTERY DRAIN

• Bxlxix69
  • 1996 JEEP CHEROKEE

1996 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 166747 miles

I'm having a problem with battery drain. If I pull the neg wire, the battery is good in the morning.

When I left the battery hooked up in the morning is practically dead.

How do I find the drain and determin what is wrong. It runs fine if I start it and pull the neg terminal, it runs fine. So were do I go from here?

Allan.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/171609_DSC02888_1.jpg

Sunday, March 23rd, 2008 AT 11:25 AM

• Rasmataz

Battery drain test

Get a test light and disconnect the negative battery cable now put the light between the cable and battery negative post is the light On? If so start removing fuses one at a time -the fuse that turns off the light is the trouble circuit. Then break out the electrical wiring diagram.

In the event you removed all the fuses and the light is still On disconnect the alternator batt. Feed and the connector-if this one turns off the light-the alternator has bad diodes.

Sunday, March 23rd, 2008 AT 3:57 PM
  • Melinsd

I have a 1989 Cherokee that is having the same problems with battery drain when the key is off. I have removed the fuses one by one and my voltmeter still reads full voltage. (I used my voltmeter in place of a test light.)

Would someone be able to explain the above quoted recommendation to me please? I don't know what it is referring to by the "alternator batt. Feed and the connector".

I apologize for my ignorance and thank you for your assistance.

Thank you!
Melissa

Saturday, May 3rd, 2008 AT 11:24 PM