Car wont start

RACEN2U
  • 2004 HYUNDAI SANTA FE
  • AWD
If it sets for a while, 18-20 hours, it will not start. Everything works, all light alternator, everything it just wont turn over. I have to turn the key off and wait 20 seconds and try again. It never takes more then three try's to get it started.
Saturday, September 4th, 2010 AT 11:07 AM

OIDAVEY
Lets run the codes first it sounds like the engine coolant temperature sensor is shorting out but to be sure lets run down this guide.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/checking-a-service-engine-soon-or-check-engine-light-on-or-flashing

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Please run down these guides and report back.
Saturday, September 4th, 2010 AT 12:40 PM
KRISTENLEE
Thanks for this post I found out my computer was bad got a rebuilt unit all fixed! Cost me $167.00 I love this site
Saturday, June 8th, 2019 AT 4:44 PM
HARLEY19
  • 2004 HYUNDAI SANTA FE
Four cylinder two wheel drive automatic 72,000 miles.

My car will not start. The relay for the fuel pump is not getting power but it can be bypassed and the fuel pump starts right up. When I try to start the vehicle after bypassing the relay it still will not start. I have also checked the inertia switch and it has not popped up. It has gotten regular fluid changes and has always run like a champ before. I am stumped as to what it could be.
+1
Saturday, June 8th, 2019 AT 4:45 PM (Merged)
Could be the computer not grounding the fuel pump relay.
-2
HARLEY19
How do I check the computer to see if that is it? Or would it be better just to reset the computer? If I do have to reset the computer how do I do that?
+4
Do a continuity test on the orange and gray wire at the fuel pump relay connector to pin 20 at the computer.
-1
HARLEY19
Would the relay also cause the spark plugs to not fire? If not what would cause it? They are not working even if I bypass the relay.
LANCEFREUDIGER
  • 2004 HYUNDAI SANTA FE
  • AWD
Santa fe cranks but won't start. Some one said to reset fuel pump. Any ideas?
Test the engine control relay it powers the fuel pump relay coil side and also the ignition coils through ECU fuse one 20 amp.
+1
Hi lancefreudiger, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

Do below to determine if its fuel or spark related issue and then get back with me with some results

Fuel and Spark:

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 in away from ground have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor /distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, ECM, Ignitor camshaft and crankshaft sensors and computer. Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it

Compression:

If both correct fuel pressure and snapping blue spark is present-check engine compression could be a valve and ignition timing, issue -this will lead you to problems with compression and valves opening and closing at the wrong time/broken or jumped timing belt/chain
+2
HARLEY19
I just finished checking all the fuses and relays and there all good. Is there another component that controls the fuel pump and ignition coils before the fuse box that could of gone bad?
+2
Check and test the engine control relay and ignition failure sensor.
+5
HARLEY19
Where is the sensor located?
2.4L engine is on rear of cylinder head.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_sensor_1.jpg

+9
SSLIF
  • 2004 HYUNDAI SANTA FE
Engine problem
2004 Hyundai Santa Fe 6 cyl Wheel Drive Type unknown Automatic 70000. Miles

I hit a 3x2 ft. X12" piece of concrete coming at me on the interstate at 70mph. Anyway, I couldn't avoid and upon impact-other than the 2 destroyed front tires, the car lost power before I pulled over to the side of the road. Now, the mechanics say it won't start. There were no fluids found under the vehicle when towed, and, the car always purred like a kitten prior to this. The vehicle has always had regular oil changes, tire rotations, transmission fluid changes, etc. No VISIBLE damage underneath. There is power (windows, lights)- but will not turn on. Could it be a sensor thing? Maybe the gas line got disconnected? Any ideas? HELP!
ITSALLGOOD
Pretty sure there's an inertia switch (turns off the fuel pump when you run into something)...it should be mounted on the left strut - right next to the master cylinder. The button pops up when it is activated - just push the rubber button down to turn the fuel pump back on. Car should start.
This picture is from a 2002 model:

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/189565_DSC04698_1.jpg

+7
BMAC20
  • 2004 HYUNDAI SANTA FE
My Santa Fe was running great, I drove it to work it sat for 8 hrs when I went to go home after work it wouldn't start. The engine turns over it just won't start. About a year ago I replaced a Cam sensor, and I had the supintine beltbreak, cause by a pully. The pully was replaced. What could this be?

Fuel pump / Fuse

Cam Sensor

Golbal warming
Hi:
Global Warming (LOL) Either spart or fuel is missing. Has the check engine light come on? Also, have you checked for spark and fuel pressure?

Let me know.
GEACH57
  • 2004 HYUNDAI SANTA FE
The engine was removed to replace the timing belt and check the valves. It was reinstalled with the timing marks lined up, with good compression. There is no communication from the computer to the motor so it wont start. If I jump the relay in the fuse box under the hood the fuel pump will come on, but the car backfire like the timing is off. When my scanner is connected it says there is no connection. Why
+1
KHLOW2008
When the scan tool cannot connect with the PCM, it could mean a bad PCM, blown fuse or a poor ground circuit. Have these checked first.
+1