1990 Honda Accord Won't start on hot days

PHIL TOMLINSON
  • 1990 HONDA ACCORD
My 1990 Honda, on hot days, will not start. It will crank, but sounds like it isn't firing. If I cycle the ignition ket 4 or 5 times, then it will start. I have haeard two different reasons for the proble: 1) the fuel pump is bad or 2) there is a circuit board under the dash that controls the fuel pump relay that has a problem due to the thermal cycles of heating and cooling for the vehicles age. I'm wondering if the problem is the fuel pump relay itself possibly having burnt contacts due to the age and needs relpacement.

What is the correct answer? How hard is it to repair? Where would I find instructions on how to complete the repairs?

Phil
Wednesday, November 26th, 2008 AT 12:25 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi Phil,

The cause should be the PGM-FI main relay located under dash. Quite often the soldered contacts of the circuit board of the relay cracks causing intermittent failure. Unplug the relay from its housing and resolder the contacts.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_PGMFIRelay90Accord_1.jpg

+1
Wednesday, November 26th, 2008 AT 2:41 PM
PHIL TOMLINSON
Thank you for your response. Do you know how difficult it is to get to the relay? I probably won't get it repaired for awhile, since it is working now.
Thursday, November 27th, 2008 AT 10:21 AM
KHLOW2008
Hi Phil,

It really is not that difficutt to get to it. Just have to move the seat as far back as possible and crawl under the dash and look up.

It would only be intermittent failures most of the time but sometimes it would just fire up and then stall. Under such circumstances it might not start until you wait some time. I would advise getting it done as such electrical faults are rather unpredictable and we do not know when it is going to fail or work.
Thursday, November 27th, 2008 AT 1:52 PM
DSTAMPER@USTHQ.COM
I had the same problem this summer. The mechanic replaced the fuel pump, but that did not fix the problem. He then replaced the distributor cap, and that did not fix the problem. Finally he replaced the main relay and the car has not had a problem starting ever since.
Tuesday, December 2nd, 2008 AT 9:07 AM