1990 Honda Accord Computer and shifting problems

SQUIZZERS
  • 1990 HONDA ACCORD
My 1990 Honda accord had a shifting problem. I took it to a transmission shop and they said that my computer may be bad. I got a couple of different computers and tried them in the car. They were probably the wrong ones because the car had trouble idling. I finally ordered a computer with the exact same numbers as the one that was originally in my vehicle, but it won't start. I am afraid that I may have messed something up while I was trying different computers. What can I do to possibly reset the car so it will run? (It is fuel injected)
Saturday, March 20th, 2010 AT 4:12 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi squizzers,

Thank you for the donation.

The Engine Control Unit ( ECU ) and Transmision Control Module ( TCM ) arer 2 different components. There are no settings required when replacing the components.

Did you recheck the ECU and TCM wire connectors?
Did you test if sparks or fuel is missing?

http://www.2carpros.com/kpages/first_things.htm

The above links provides information on how to go about testing the various components.

Were trouble codes retrieved prior to removing the the ECM and TCM?
Sunday, March 21st, 2010 AT 3:10 AM
SQUIZZERS
I made sure that the wires to the ECU and the TCM were connected properly. The car has fuel and the spark plugs are good.

Prior to removing the ECU, there were no error codes. I have a repair manual and it says that a zero code is the sign of a faulty ECU so that is why I replaced it.

After I put the new ECU it was giving me a trouble code that indicated that the ELD was bad. Would this cause it to not start?

I just replaced the distributor rotor because the other one I had was cracked but it still doesn't start.

Thank you so much for answering my question. This car has been giving me problems for near a year and I just want to get it running. It's my first car btw.
Monday, March 22nd, 2010 AT 1:47 PM
KHLOW2008
A fault with the ELD would not cause non starting.

Did you check the fuel pressure? A faulty PGM-FI main relay can cause the fuel pump to stop working intermittently and the non starting.

If the engine had not been running for a while, the compression might drop. Get a compresison test done to see if the pressure are within specs.

Remove the spark plugs and pump a little engine oil into the spark plug holes to increase the compression and retest.

When the distributor was replaced, did you check the firing order?
Monday, March 22nd, 2010 AT 3:32 PM
SQUIZZERS
I haven't checked any of those yet but my dad tried spraying some starting fluid and that didn't work. We checked the spark plugs to see if it was getting spark and they were giving off a spark, but it was yellow instead of blue. He also said that it seemed to be weak.

If there was a little bit of spark, the starting fluid should have kicked it on right?
Tuesday, March 23rd, 2010 AT 10:13 PM
KHLOW2008
Not necessarily. If the sparks are weak, which is the case here, the starting fluid could flood the cylinders and this would not start.

Weak sparks indicates a faulty ignition coil.
Wednesday, March 24th, 2010 AT 7:41 AM