2002 GMC Yukon SHUTS OFF WHILE DRIVING DOWN RD.

HEATHER8
  • 2002 GMC YUKON
Other Category problem
2002 GMC Yukon Engine Size unknown Wheel Drive Type unknown Automatic 111000 miles

Yukon shuts off while drving down rd. It doesnt do it all the time. We have noticed that if you have the air and you let the vehical sit and idol it will shake like it is choking and then eventually will shut off completely or you have to shut it off. We have taken it to 4 different mechanics and nonone seems to be able to tell us anything. No codes come up but the check engine light comes on. PLEASE help
Thursday, January 10th, 2008 AT 3:02 PM

PEAR69
Check the air filter, and change it if it's dirty. Usually if there is a sensor bad, or something like that, the service engine soon light will come on. There is a code stored inside of your computer somewhere causing the light to come on. Take the truck to autozone or someplace like that, and they will scan your engine for free. There will be a code, write it down and let me know what it is. If Autozones' scan tool cannot find a code then you need to take the truck to a mechanic that has an advanced scan tool. Usually, this means a trip to the dealer.
GM has had lots of problems with the fuel injector design on these engines. I have heard of a recall on these injectors but I am not positive. You should ask your local dealer about that. I do know that the upgraded injector system works much better than the O.E.M. Injectors. This may be the problem.
Also, I am assuming that your engine is a 5.7L or a 5.3L V8 cylinder. The lower intake manifold gaskets commonly fail on these engines.--Is your engine coolant low?--If it is this may be your problem.
The gasket fails and leaks; sometimes outside the engine, and sometimes inside the engine. The gasket may be leaking coolant into one of your cylinders. This will cause the engine to run rough.
So, start with finding out what the code is for the check engine light---check back here and let me know what the code is for the light--we will start there
+2
Thursday, January 10th, 2008 AT 9:42 PM
HEATHER8
I have taken it to Auto Zone and another local mechanic. The check engine light comes on but, the codes dont show up. I suppose I am going to have to take it to a GM dealer.
Friday, January 11th, 2008 AT 7:57 AM
PEAR69
When an engine acts like yours there could be many things wrong with it. Look under the hood for any vaccum lines or hoses that may be broken of disconnected. Check your pcv valve. Check your air filter. Make sure that the air filter is closed up tight and check for cracks around the air filter housing. Make sure the wing nut that holds down the air duct to the throttle body is tight. Look at the spark plug wires--give each of them a little push--to make sure they are on tightly. Make sure the gas cap is good and on tight--Have it tested. ALL of the preceeding can be checked by anyone! What did your mechanics test and look for? Did they reset the engine light to see if it came back on? Did they test the M.A.F. Sensor? How about the I.A.C. Sensor? And the E.C.T. Sensor? May be the T.P.S. Sensor? Did they test the fuel pressure? Maybe you have a blocked fuel filter or a blocked cat. Converter? If you cannot do the tests yourself then YES a trip to the dealer is recomended. However, make sure the dealer tests and confirms that a part is bad before they replace it. DO NOT CHANGE ANY PART THAT DOES NOT NEED CHANGING! This will only cost you more time and money. Also, just because the person is a dealer mechanic, do not be afraid to TELL him to test all the things I mentioned.
+4
Friday, January 11th, 2008 AT 5:28 PM