2000 Taurus SE--A/C blows hot

MAMAERIN
  • 2000 FORD TAURUS
I'll start by saying that I am a single mom with 4 children, so I am attempting to fix this problem myself due to finances. I have a 2000 Ford Taurus SE with 133,000 miles and I have no idea the engine size other than it's a V-6.

The problem is that my a/c blows HOT air ALL the time.

The a/c fan turns on and blows properly based on whether it is set on max or low. The air blows out of the vents fine. The temperature adjustment is functioning, as far as setting it from 60 up to 90 degrees. But, it blows the same degree of "hot" no matter if it's set on 60 or 90.

I guess what I am saying is that the a/c seems to be working just fine. It's just not obeying the temperature setting AT ALL!

One other thing that may matter--the a/c worked wonderfully up until about 8 or 9 months ago. I slammed my brakes HARD to avoid hitting someone (which I DID avoid). At the time (early morning) my a/c was off (although I had used it the day before), but later that day I turned it on and it no longer blew cold air. I don't know if something slipped loose or if this is just a coincidence, but it was very obvious to me that it happened at the same time.

If someone can help me figure out how to fix this (hopefully myself) I would be incredibly grateful! Texas is HOT this time of year and the kids and I absolutely dread having to go anywhere :(

Thank you. If you need anymore information please just let me know and I will try to give it to you.

Erin
Saturday, June 30th, 2007 AT 7:01 PM

MAMAERIN
Okay, I did that!

The codes are:

051
053

That is it.

Thanks,
Erin
Saturday, June 30th, 2007 AT 8:43 PM
MAMAERIN
Okay, do you mean there are just 3 fuses I need to check and they are fuses # 16, 27, and 32? And, what exactly am I looking for when I remove the fuse and inspect it? Is it an obvious "this one is blown"?

No, I haven't posted before! I used to have a husband that could fix everything, but as an ex he is not willing to look at it!

Thank you!

Erin
Saturday, June 30th, 2007 AT 10:02 PM
MAMAERIN
I did find the interior fuse panel and I got the cover off and I found the little plastic tool thing that is in there. So I'm quite proud of that! At this point it is dark and I only have a tiny flashlight, so tomorrow during daylight I will take a look at the fuses you told me to inspect.

Thank you so much!

Erin
Saturday, June 30th, 2007 AT 10:14 PM
MAMAERIN
I checked the fuses and they look fine.

What is next?

Thanks,
Erin
Sunday, July 1st, 2007 AT 2:56 PM
MAMAERIN
It WORKS! There were NO blown fuses, but after checking the fuses under the hood and doing the test with the fan on low and going between 60 and 90 and back I turned the car all the way on and turned the a/c all the way up to see what it would do and it blows COLD again! I'm assuming it was a loose fuse.

I did try the test that I did yesterday and I still get the 051 and 053 codes, though. Is that anything to worry about?

Thank you very much,
Erin
Sunday, July 1st, 2007 AT 8:53 PM
GRACIECARMONA
I too am a single mom and I have three kids and I had this same problem and I check the three fuses and they were burned out so I changed them and now my A/C works GREAT! Thanks so much for this information, you're Awesome. God Bless!
Gracie :D
Wednesday, July 11th, 2007 AT 11:14 AM