1997 Ford Taurus Overheating

WVANCER
  • 1997 FORD TAURUS
I have a 1997 Ford Focus, Duratec engine, which is overheating. When I push on the radiator hoses, they feel like they don't have any water in them. In addition, I drained the system and when I put water into the reservoir, it didn't seem like I put enough water in to fill the system. I took the reservoir return line off the radiator hose, it didn't squirt water while the car was running. It would occasionally spit some dropplets, but I expected a stream of water to come out of it. The car's "low coolant" light goes out after I refill the reservoir, but it comes on again after the car is driven less than a mile. The reservoir is still full when I check it after the "low coolant" light comes on. Could there be a blockage in the system that prevents the water from circulating? Or perhaps the water pump is not working, but I don't see any leakage from around the pump, and the belt is moving the pulley.
Thursday, August 19th, 2010 AT 10:25 AM

KHLOW2008
Hi wvancer,

Thank you for the donation.

A bad thermostat would prevent the coolant from circulating. Get it checked/tested first.
Thursday, August 19th, 2010 AT 2:22 PM
WVANCER
There was a new thermostat installed recently. That's not my concern, unless the new thermostat is not working. And how would I know that without disconnecting the radiator hose and starting the car and letting it warm up? I think the problem is either a blockage in the system or a water pump that is not pumping water. The radiator appears to be in good shape, and I am currently running a radiator cleaner in the water and it is making no difference. How can I tell if the water pump is not pumping?
Monday, August 23rd, 2010 AT 9:03 PM
KHLOW2008
It is possible for the replaced thermostat to be faulty and without removing it for testing, we would not know.

You mentioned the low coolant warning indicator turning on and requires rerplenishment, that indicates the coolant level is indeed low. That could be due to air trapped in system and when the air has been purged to the reservoir, the level would drop.

Try bleeding the system to see if it helps.

Turn heater to maximum and let engine run for a few minutes to purge whatever air there is in system.

If turning on the heater helps to lower the coolant temperature, we can safely say the the water pump is good and pissobly the thermostat is not opening or there are som other clogging in system.

There are no standard procedures for performing test on water pump and the common practice is to remove the thermostat and run the engine while noting the coolant flow.
Tuesday, August 24th, 2010 AT 6:50 AM