Power window won't close all the way

TRUCKOWNERNEEDSHELP
  • 2000 FORD RANGER
My windows have been giving me problems. It started with the passenger side, and now the driver side is the same. I opened the door panel and inserted a bar to keep window up on passenger side. I can't do this to drivers side because I need to open it from time to time. There is a steel bar attached to a gear inside the door panel. Is there an easy way to fix this, so that when I push the button, the window will go all the way to the top.

Nothing is broken. I removed the door panel a while ago, but what I remember seeing was the window sits on a thin tray and this is attached to something like a camshaft. Then the gears are on the bottom of the camshaft. When the window rolls up and down as I push the button, the camshaft pushes this tray (tray is thin at bottom of window), up or down.

I don't know if someone tried to get into my truck and wedged the window down. But now it won't go up all the way. When it gets to the top, it makes a clicking noise like it used to when it was rolled all the way up, but it is not rolled all the way up.

Thanks for responding. Do you know how to fix this problem?
Tuesday, January 12th, 2010 AT 2:07 AM

SCAMPS8888
I also had the same problem, and while searching for a solution myself I came upon this site, and saw that you were having the same trouble.

I bought the gear and motor on ebay for 56.00
from napa it was like 120.00 just for the gear, and since I had it open, I figured what the hell.

do it yourself. took me about 20 minutes. heres what you do.

remove the screws that hold the black part thats by the inside lever and pull the cover. unplug the switches (small screwdriver helps for the lock tabs on the back side) set that part aside.

door pannel has 2 screws, one behind where the part you just removed, and the other is bottom corner.
pannel pops up, and then out.

drill and remove the 4 rivets, and take out the screw below.. you'll see it. its small and black.
now have someone hold the window in the 1/2 open position and slide the whole mechanism toward the front of the vehicle so the little thing that is in the window track will slide out.

now the whole window roller upper mechanism is free,

you need to have the friend holding the window pull it completly closed, and kinde roll the mechinism out of the hole. Done. its out.
reinstallation is these steps in reverse. put nuts and bolts with lock washers in place of the rivets. youll probably only get 3 of em, but that should be fine. mine works great now, and total out of pocket was 56.00 and about 20 minutes of my time..

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/573729_iphone4_065_1.jpg

+6
Thursday, September 16th, 2010 AT 9:44 PM
JEFMBV
  • 2000 FORD RANGER
I have power windows, and the motor sounds good and works but it won't roll the window all the way up. It stops an inch short of the top seal. I can still hear the motor working even though the window will not go all the way up.
Tuesday, December 4th, 2018 AT 1:03 PM (Merged)
JACK42
Most likely a bad motor. But to be sure you need to remove the door panel and watch it work to be sure the regulator is working properly.
RTM151
On my ford ranger the same thing happen. Well I took the door panel off and looked inside the door. Well I found out that one of my brackets that is on the window motor was cracked off at the end of it which mounts the motor to the door frame. This was causing the motor to move out of place away from the teeth that move the window up and down. I fixed with some longer screws. But the screws came loose and it stripped the teeth at the end of the crank shaft thing.
So basically it is one or more of these four things
1. The screws are loose that holds that motor to the door frame.
2. Check the three mounts on the side of the motor, if any of the mounts are cracked I would go and replace the motor.
3. With the window up run your finger to the end of the crank and see if the teeth feel stripped, well if that the case then that is just another headache.
4. If you push the window button and nothing happens and you hear no noise coming from the motor like it is even trying to roll your window up your motor is most likely shot.
Hope this helps you in any way.
GOLDY1968
  • 2003 FORD RANGER
This morning tried to raise window with door button and all you could hear was the motor running but window not going up. Took door panel off to check wires and seemed to be connected. Still nothing going up. In order to get to work, just carefully raised window by hand thru to opening in the door. Worked fine yesterday.
TY ANDERSON
It sound like the motor is good but I would look much closer at the driver's side window regulator. Some are cable driven on pulleys and the cable can break, slip off pulleys etc. Let me know how it goes. Talk to you soon, TY
BRIANBOOTH
  • 2002 FORD RANGER
When you use the power window button, nothing happens. What part needs replaced? The window will not go up or down using the switch on the passenger side door. I have to raise/lower the window using the drivers side switch. What needs replaced?
You can guess at what needs TO BE replaced as well as anyone. A professional would diagnose the cause of the problem, then determine if any part was defective or a broken wire could be repaired. The interesting thing with power window switches on older vehicles is current goes through two switches in each switch, for a total of four switches, regardless of which one you're using. Only one of those four switches is activated at a time but current goes through the other three and those can have a burned contact. That means there's a 50 percent chance the working switch is the bad one and a 50 percent chance the non-working switch is the bad one. There could also be a broken wire between the door hinges.

On newer vehicles there may be a computer module involved in running the windows. Diagnosing those systems can get pretty involved.

We know the window motor is okay, and since the window works both ways from the driver's switch, logic dictates those wires are okay. My dart board says the 12 volt feed wire going into the passenger door is broken. My second spin of the wheel would be for one of the two switches.
Tuesday, December 4th, 2018 AT 1:04 PM (Merged)
FISHHOOK
  • 2001 FORD RANGER
2001 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 98.000 miles

The electric window on the driver side will not close completely. When raising window up it stops about 2 inches from closing, at this point it makes a bumping sound in the door. As if it is trying to close but it want go any further. Any help would be great. Thank you !
DAVE H
You will have to remove door trim and watershield to inspect motor and windings etc. For cause of the fault?

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
POWER WINDOW MOTOR
Removal & Installation
Disconnect negative battery cable. Remove door trim panel and watershield. Raise window glass fully and tape in place. Disconnect window motor harness connector. Remove top and bottom center door glass run retainer nuts to loosen center door glass run retainer.
CAUTION:When drilling out rivets, do not enlarge holes in door.

Using a punch, drive pin from center of all 4 window regulator assembly retaining rivets. Ensure wiring is not in line with window regulator retaining rivets. Using 1/4" (6.35 mm) drill bit, drill out remainder of each rivet. Remove window regulator assembly.
WARNING:Before removing window motor from regulator, ensure regulator arms are in a fixed position to prevent counterbalance spring unwind. Failure to do so may result in serious injury.

Remove bolts and separate window motor from regulator. To install, reverse removal procedure. Tighten window motor retaining bolts to 53-79 INCH lbs. (6-9 N.M). Tighten center door glass run retainer nuts to 71-89 INCH lbs. (8-10 N.M).
-1