Drivers window not working

JEANI
  • 1999 FORD RANGER
My drivers side window goes up and down when it feels like it. Passenger side is working fine. Can hear clucking in dash area when I click window switch down for drivers side. Just put new switch and that was not problem. Checked ground behind plastic panel next to parking brake it clean as whistle. Also, ABS light on. Replaced ABS module bearings, replaced both front hubs, wheel sensors and bearings. ABS light will not go off. Going to check rear wheel sensors. Need help with this window before I use a bigger hammer on my truck lol. Even though it high mileage my truck runs great is well taken care of and have replaced a lot of parts on it.
Friday, June 16th, 2017 AT 7:29 PM

HEYMAN1104
For the window, the next time it acts up, hold the switch in whichever direction you want to roll it and slam the door at the same time. If this causes the window to start working, then you just need a new power window motor. The brushes inside of the motor that you have are old and not always making a strong enough contact to run the motor. The jarring force of slamming the door combined with the electrical energy being applied can get it going. I have been occasionally doing it to my window for a while now.

As for the ABS system, there are a lot of things that can get the light turned on. I would suggest taking it to someone with a good scanner and get that code read, and go from there. In my area, the local Advance Auto Parts has a scanner that will pull ABS system codes.
Friday, June 16th, 2017 AT 8:50 PM
JEANI
Thanks for the advice. I have auto zone near me they do not do ABS scan. I think I dealing with some want a be mechanics. I replaced my own window since. If it was easy. I can replace the motor too. Cannot be that hard on this truck. I will have to find an advanced auto see if they can test my truck. I was told there is no test for it. But my dad was mechanic I know better. Just put nice little chunk of change into truck want to fix this on down low. Lol
Friday, June 16th, 2017 AT 8:59 PM
JEANI
My ABS light came on after I pulled a pop up camper. I even put new brakes on it but I did get used ABS motor. Could not afford new one.
Friday, June 16th, 2017 AT 9:03 PM
HEYMAN1104
If you did the window already then doing the motor itself should be a cinch for you, as you have basically done the job once. I hate to say it but you might have to take it to a dealer to get the ABS system scanned. Paying a little to get the code(s) is still better than guessing and hoping. Let us know.
Friday, June 16th, 2017 AT 9:18 PM
JEANI
I will. Ugh do not like going to dealer. I am female and they think I not car smart. Been there done that lol. Think my daddy haunting my truck lol he would. Thanks again.
Saturday, June 17th, 2017 AT 11:01 AM
KEN
Please let us know what happens, we are interested to see what it is.

Cheers, Ken
Monday, June 19th, 2017 AT 11:57 AM
HEYMAN1104
Yeah I hate going to the dealer too. Honestly I hate taking my car to anyone else. But sometimes I know I have swallow that pill to get the expensive scanner hooked up.
Monday, June 19th, 2017 AT 6:45 PM
JEANI
Well I just went ahead and replaced the motor and regulator my window. It was more difficult then I thought it would be but got it done and works great. Still have to deal with abs light. Also had to replace my alternator. That was easy compared to window lol got alot of attention from neighbors too lol to see a gal fixin her own truck.
Sunday, July 9th, 2017 AT 1:28 PM
KEN
Nice work, we are here to help, please use 2CarPros anytime.

Cheers, Ken
Monday, July 10th, 2017 AT 9:55 AM