1999 Ford Ranger dome light stays on and door ajar light is

LOSTRANGER
  • 1999 FORD RANGER
Hey team, I have a strange question. My dome light stays on unless I pull the fuse. The door ajar light is on like a door is open but neither is. I took the passenger door apart to see if there was a disconnect but everything is in tact. This unit has the light switch inside the latching mechanism? What are my options I tried disconnecting the plug thinking it would over ride it and it didnt help?
Thursday, December 13th, 2007 AT 5:14 PM

FLEXY5
Try spraying some lubricant into the door latch. It will trickle down into the switch (yes is located on the bottom side of the latch mechanism). Open and close the door multiple times. Do this with both doors. Usually the door that gets used the least is the one that sticks. This should take care of the concern. Post your findings after you try this, if it does not work I have some other options for you.
Thursday, December 13th, 2007 AT 5:43 PM
LOSTRANGER
WOW you guys rock.
This was the key. In fact I ran into a guy at the gym with the same model and I told him about the fix he said he had had the problem for 2 years.
Saturday, December 15th, 2007 AT 1:39 PM
DRHUNTER
I have a 1998 that had the same problem. One night I disconnected the battery to keep the lights from draining it. The next morning when I connected the battery back up it fixed the problem. I guess what ever was causing the problem reset itself. But remember any time you have to dissconnect the battery cables you will have to reset any pre-programed radio stations and your clock. But the first you will need to do is turn off everything in your cab radio, fan, lights, ect. And let your engine idle for about 2 minutes so it can reset the idle speed. Hope this works for you like it did me.
+1
Monday, December 17th, 2007 AT 9:16 AM