2003 Ford Ranger dome light stays on

2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 2003 FORD RANGER
2003 Ford Ranger mileage: 15,000. It seems that on certain days, mostly on real warm days, when someone gets into the passenger side door the door doesn't want to shut (according to the computer). Then when I am parking my truck, the dome light will stay on. My ABS and brake light stay on all the time. I have had it checked out several times at the dealership and they can't find a problem. A few years ago, I was coming back from a trip to Nashville and when I got just outside of St. Louis, I hit a major puddle of water on the highway. About twenty miles later the ABS and Brake light came on and I immediately stopped to get it checked out. The guy said the sensor must have gotten wet and it should fix itself, but the brakes are fine. Anyway, the brakes work just fine only on very cold days does the light go off and it looks fine. Do you know what I can do to fix this problem? Are there sensors somewhere that I can clean up or replace? Where should I start, since the mechanic can't find the problem? Thanks.

Tuesday, February 1st, 2011 AT 11:24 PM

2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
The ABS (antilock breaking systems) light will light when there is a malfunction in the braking system. The fault code is then stored in the computer. The computer must be scanned to retrieve these stored faults to pinpoint the malfunctioning component. Because the ABS light indicates something is wrong, a trip to you neighborhood automobile service center sooner rather than later is recommended. Your ABS system may not be functioning.
Tuesday, February 1st, 2011 AT 11:26 PM
WRENCHTECH
The switches that control the lights for open doors are made right into the door latches and they have a history of sticking and causing problems like that.

Here is a technique that often works well and eliminates the problem at no cost.

Get a can of spray lube like WD40 or something like it and has a straw on the nozzle. Spray it generously up into the latch mechanism. Now open and close the door numerous times to work it in. Repeat this process several times. Since you don't really know which door is causing the problem, you should do all of them. It's usually caused by the most frequently used door but it's not guaranteed to be that one.

As far as your ABS light is concerned, the previous expert has advised you correctly. One thing I would like to add is that they have an extremely high failure rate on the rear speed sensor in the top of the differential. I don't recommend throwing parts at anything but it may be worth a try.
Wednesday, February 2nd, 2011 AT 12:24 AM