HOW DO I FIND OUT PROB WITH 4X4 AND DOME LIGHT EVERYTHING ELSE WORKS FINE

• welderoo
  • 2000 Ford Ranger

I have a 2000 ford ranger that the 4x4 and the dome lights work sometimes and not others tried a new battery saver relay and thought that it was fixed for bout 3 days it but it rained last night and then wasnt working again took for a drive with dome light on with dimmer switch and after bout 20 min light started coming on then off again more and more often till it was on more than it was off but still not working properly and whenever the dome light not working the electric 4x4 not working seems that either moisture or bad connection is the most likely cause but not sure where to look

Monday, October 1st, 2012 AT 12:57 AM

• ASEMaster6371

Can you give me more info on the 4 by 4? It could be any one of 10 things. Was it working last yesr? Was there any issues with it then? Does it shift from low to high?

As far as the dome light, you need someone with a scan tool to monitor the GEM module to see the commands for the lighting.

Monday, October 1st, 2012 AT 1:02 AM
  • welderoo

Yes it was working all along except for when the dome light wont work the 4x4 wont work at same time when the dome light works the 4x4 works as far as low I had it go in low the other day but now it just goes in high just bought the truck but know thu guy who had it and is trust worthy he said 4x4 always worked in high but not in low

Monday, October 1st, 2012 AT 1:58 AM
  • cadieman

How do u no its locked in 4wd and the front hubs are locking?

Monday, October 1st, 2012 AT 2:51 AM
  • welderoo

I had to use 4x4 friday and worked fine but sunday when dome lights stopped working the electric shift stopped also but as driving around the dome light would come on and off when they did so I could also hear a clicking around the relay switches the dealer told me the only relay there (under steering wheel) was the battery saver relay when heard it click had power to both dome and 4x4 shift switch then when clicked again lost power would this mean I have a short somewhere. I read somewhere that rangers have been known to get moisture in transfer case could that cause the relay switch to shut power off

Monday, October 1st, 2012 AT 7:44 PM
  • welderoo

*only relay switch that controlled both

Monday, October 1st, 2012 AT 7:46 PM
  • welderoo

*moisture in transfer case motor

Monday, October 1st, 2012 AT 9:50 PM
  • cadieman

Check linkage from the 4wd lever to the trans.

Wednesday, October 3rd, 2012 AT 2:11 AM