1992 Ford Ranger

ASCHOTT18
  • 1992 FORD RANGER
1992 Ford Ranger 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual

My 1992 ford ranger, 2.9L 6 cylinder 4 wheel drive is having problems starting. I washed the engine bay prior to the problem. And it wont start now. I replaced the started because I burned it out trying to start it. I also sprayed ether into the distributor to dry it out. It has fuel, spark, and compression. What else could be the problem?
Monday, February 1st, 2010 AT 11:51 PM

If it has fuel, spark, and compression, it should run unless the spark is too weak or the timing is off. Are you getting a good hot blue snapping spark? Have you checked timing?

It has fuel, spark, and compression. What else could be the problem? It has all the elements for combustion-check the valve and ignition timing. Or do below to double check it

Disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine at least 3/16 in away from ground have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor /distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, ECM, Ignitor camshaft and crankshaft sensors- Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it

If both correct fuel pressure and snapping blue spark is present-check engine compression could be a valve and ignition timing, issue -this will lead you to problems with compression and valves opening and closing at the wrong time/broken or jumped timing belt/chain

Let me know.

Tuesday, February 2nd, 2010 AT 1:53 PM