1986 FORD RANGER '86 FORD RANGER: WILL CRANK BUT WON'T FIRE

• Grizz_Dipper
  • 1986 Ford Ranger

1986 Ford Ranger 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 186000 miles

Ok I have a 1986 Ford Ranger 5 Speed 4x4 I was driving home one day and was backing into my driveway and I killed it, but then it wouldn't fire it would crank for ever but would not fire we think it was something electrical cause it happened all of a sudden like a relay went out or something. I'm not sure what it would be or where to start any help will do.

Thursday, January 7th, 2010 AT 3:37 PM

• rasmataz

Cranks and w/n start

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine at least 3/16 away from ground -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it

Thursday, January 7th, 2010 AT 4:19 PM
  • Grizz_Dipper

Hey I did like you said and There was no blue spark whats the best place to start?

Saturday, January 9th, 2010 AT 2:43 PM
  • rasmataz

The coil and then the ignition control module

Saturday, January 9th, 2010 AT 4:24 PM