2006 FORD F150 PICKUP ALL THE SUDDEN STARTED RUNNING ROUGH

• bekais
  • 2006 Ford F-150

2006 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 58,000 miles

I have a 2006 ford f150 4x4 with an automatic transmission. On my way to town tonight, it ran fine for the first 8 miles or so, then, as soon as I got to the first stop light, I noticed some serious vibration while idling. I went through the light and pulled into a parking lot where I could assess the situation better. It was idling at approx 500rpm, and seeming to be running on several of the 8 cylinders. My " check engine" light began flashing as well. I revved up the engine to see if it would clear up, and it seemed to, so I continued driving, as I only had another mile or two to go. Power was 80% gone, struggling to accelerate, with a crazy vibration throughout the pickup. I also noticed a smell in the cab that smelled like a cars' exhaust in the cold morning ( like it's burning rich or something ), or something sweet like. Before I made it to my destination, I stopped again to try and give it a break, crutching my way. I let is sit for 5 minutes, then attempted to start it. It took a lot of cranks to fire up (10 seconds ), but it did. I got to my destination and shut it off. Its dark, and Im not a mechanic, so any suggestions? I'm what you'd call " concerned". Thank You!

Saturday, December 19th, 2009 AT 8:49 PM

• windoz

I had a similar problem with my 4.2 v6. You would do weill to relpace the spark plugs. My number four cylinder was buring (literally eating up the electrode) up plugs way before the other cylinders. I don't know why, especially when my wires were fairly new. Check your plugs--it will probably the cheapest repair you'll ever make! Be sure to replace with OEM quality or better!

Sunday, December 20th, 2009 AT 3:12 AM
  • bekais

Took it to a mechanic this morning and he diagnosed it. It ended up being the PCM (computer) malfunctioning, keeping cylinders 2, 3, and 4 from firing. Thankfully fords have a 8 year / 80,000 mile warranty on the PCM, so I'm in the clear! Oh, and the rich sweet smell I smelled was unburnt fuel from those cylinders that weren't firing, all coming out of the exhaust.

Monday, December 21st, 2009 AT 7:05 PM
  • windoz

When you said sweet smell, well I knew that was unburnt hydrocarbons / fuel! It is amazing it still ran at all. I am glad you resolved your issue.

Tuesday, December 22nd, 2009 AT 2:41 AM