1995 FORD F150 ENGINE RUNS ROUGH

• dyerblak1
  • 1995 Ford F-150

1995 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 122000 miles

I have a truck that I purchased from a friend. When I drove it home it seemed to be running a little rough and sometimes when I put on the gas it acted odd. It didnt cough or hesitate it just seemed to not run smoothly. I would back off the gas and reapply and it would go but just not ok. I got home and replaced the wires and the plug and cap and rotor. It helped but I started it up and ran it for a sec then turned it off to just look at something. Then when I went back to run it again it wouldnt start. I turned it over and over and nothing. I rechecked what I touched when it was off and nothing. I tried again and it ran after I kept on it. I drove it around the block but it seems to be idling rough. Like it wants to die. Also the plugs smelled gassy.

Saturday, April 4th, 2009 AT 7:54 PM

• rasmataz

Check your fuel pressure and then comeback with the readings we start here.

Saturday, April 4th, 2009 AT 8:05 PM
  • dyerblak1

I am mechanically inclined but where to I hook it up at? Do I need to do before the fuel filter or does it matter just incase my filter is the problem.

Sunday, April 5th, 2009 AT 10:01 AM
  • dyerblak1

Pressure was at 31 or 32 psi. Depending on the marks between. Also I did your test on the fuel pressure regulator and that checked out. Now when I turn the key the pressure gauge goes up but not to the 30 range. And when I rev it up the gauge goes up 3 or 4 psi.

Sunday, April 5th, 2009 AT 3:28 PM
  • rasmataz

When you turn key to run the fuel pressure should be 35-45psi and engine running should read 28-45psi

Sounds like the fuel pump is weak

Sunday, April 5th, 2009 AT 5:31 PM
  • dyerblak1

Does it matter that I have a dual tank? What are the odds of both being weak? Is that common? It could be my gauge also. Since when I turn on the key the gauge doesnt move at all. And I tried it on my other newer vehicle and it has a new fuel pump and same results.

Sunday, April 5th, 2009 AT 8:04 PM
  • rasmataz

Check the available voltage on both fuel pumps connector-could be a voltage drop problem.

Sunday, April 5th, 2009 AT 8:18 PM