F150 OVERDRIVE AND SHIFTS PROBLEMS

1997 Ford F-150

chris2100

1997 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 142000 miles

Hi my 1997 f-150 5.4v8 has had a few wierd shifting problems that are starting to get worse. My check engine light is always on. I checked the codes and theres always the same two.

P0755 - Shift Solenoid B Error
P1728 - Tran Slip Error

They come back very quickly after I clear them. For a while now my truck doesnt want to shift from first to second very easily. It revs really high in first and I have to let off the gas and then it shifts into second. It does this about 50% of the time.

The second, and more serious thing, is that quite often (say maybe 3 or 4 times a week with regular driving) my overdrive " OFF" light starts flashing on my shifter. When its doing this the truck shifts very rough. It doesnt go away until I turn off the ignition and then start it again. Then its good. Sometimes for a week and sometimes for a half hour. Is this just a sensor or is something more serious like my tourque convertor? I've asked my mechanic but he doesnt give me a straight answer so I though I'd ask rather than have him spend a few hours doing exploratory work.

Thanks for any help
Chris

chris2100

February, 2, 2010 AT 2:32 PM

Bump

Anyone?

Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz