JERKS WHEN SHIFTING

• lynngrim
  • 1988 Ford F-150

My 1988 Ford F-150 clunks and jerks when shifting into and out of Overdrive (automatic transmission.) All other up shifts and downshifts are normal.

The problem seems to happen at all speeds.

Tuesday, July 10th, 2012 AT 1:12 AM

• cadieman

CHECK THE U JOINTS AND THE TRANS MOUNT

Tuesday, July 10th, 2012 AT 2:38 AM
  • lynngrim

The ujoints don't clunk and the transmission doesn't jump when I change from Drive to Reverse, or Reverse to Drive.

Wednesday, July 11th, 2012 AT 3:18 AM
  • cadieman

Sorry I seam to have dropped your question. This seams to be a internal problem in the trans. Its more noticed when your at higher speeds. Youll need to take it to a trans shop and let a specialist drive it. Fyi you only test the motor mounts with the rev to drive test. Use a pry bar to check if the trans mount is broken and u joints can clunk if they get bad enough. Ty for using 2carpros

Wednesday, August 8th, 2012 AT 1:10 AM
  • lynngrim

I have replaced the Throttle Position Sensor and the transmission now shifts 3-4 and 4-3 mormally.

Wednesday, August 8th, 2012 AT 2:40 PM
  • rivermikerat

Lynngrm thank you for letting us know what the fix for your problem was. We appreciate you letting us know.

Friday, September 7th, 2012 AT 5:48 PM