4X4 Switch and Relay

WESSKI1
  • 1997 FORD F-150
Hi I am trying to locate the 4X4 relay in my truck. I noticed when I start the truck the 4X4 light Flashes once and I hear the relay click. The other day I had to use the 4 wheel drive to get out of the driveway (Snow). I turned it on and it was fine, drove 40 feet turned it off. Went to take off and was stuck on a snow patch, went to turn in on and nothing, No light and no click. I then noticed that when I start the truck the light comes on for a second but there is no click from the relay? I started to look for the relay but had no luck, well after trying to find it I turned on the truck turned the switch and now it works just fine again. I am thinking that maybe the relay is bad or hanging up, just a guess. The 4X4 has been used alot in this truck, and always worked great. This is the model that has a switch on the dash that has 2 positions one for 4X4 and 4X4 Low, this in NOT NOT NOT the automatic 4X4. Thank You
Sunday, March 29th, 2009 AT 9:11 AM

JAMES W.

The transfer case relay module is located under the dash behind the cluster here is a guide to help test it with the location of the relay in the diagrams below.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
+2
Wednesday, April 1st, 2009 AT 10:07 PM
STILLWATER10
  • 1997 FORD F-150
I have a 97 ford f-150 and the 4x4 will not kick in, when I turn the switch it makes no clicking sound and doe's not light up changed the switch motor on the trans case, do you think the vacuum switch on the firewall. Any help.
Wednesday, February 27th, 2019 AT 1:40 PM (Merged)
BMRFIXIT
Retrieving DTC codes should be 1st step
need a scanner tool to be able to access DTC codes
An OBDII reader may not get all you need for codes
Check Voltage At Fuse No. 15 (5-Amp) - Turn ignition off. Using voltmeter, measure voltage at terminal No. 1 on fuse junction panel fuse No. 15. If voltage is 10 volts or less, go to next step. If voltage is greater than 10 volts,
Check Fuse Junction Panel Fuse No. 15 (5-Amp) & Power Distribution Box Fuse No. 22 (50-Amp) - Inspect fuse junction panel fuse No. 15 (5-amp) and power distribution box fuse No. 22 (50-amp). If both fuses are okay, go to next step. If either fuse is blown, replace fuse. Clear DTCs and retest system. If fuse blows again, inspect circuit for short to ground.
Check Circuit 1052 (Tan/Black Wire) For Voltage - Disconnect fuse junction panel connector C243. See Fig.
Measure voltage between ground and terminal No. 11 on fuse junction panel harness connector. See Fig. If voltage is 10 volts or less, repair open Tan/Black wire. Clear DTCs and retest system. If voltage is greater than 10 volts, replace fuse junction panel. Clear DTCs and retest system.
-2
STILLWATER10
No codes and fuses are fine.
BMRFIXIT
Is your scanner communicating with the transfer case?
Can you read DATA
check switch position
STILLWATER10
I have a innova 3110. I have one code P1506 idle air control(overspeed error) nothing from the transfer case. What do you mean by check switch position.
REKOI
  • 1997 FORD F-150
My truck shifts into 4wd by itself. It has happened several times. My mechanic unplugged the 4wd switch yet it still goes into 4wd
Is the transfer case shifting or the front axle?
BMRFIXIT
What you have is a code reader and NOT a scanner
need a scanner to get to the transfer case data and check the 4x4 switch position
+1
REKOI
The transfer case is shifting
STILLWATER10
I will try and get hold of one and scan it.
+1
Disconnect the actuator on the transfer case and see if it stops. You may have a short right at the plug. The switch is to send a signal to a relay then to the actuator, but power could still make it there. It could be the wiring or a bad relay.

Let me know.
BMRFIXIT
Let me know
STILLWATER10
Called transmission shop explained what I needed they told me that issue was with the transfer case and the scan would not pull anything from it.
DONALD DUCK
  • 1997 FORD F-150
My 4 wheel drive will not lock in I can turn the switch and the light on the dash will not register on and I can hear faint clicking under the dashboard its a 97 f150
BMRFIXIT
Should start by checking your fuses and so on leading to using a scanner and getting the codes if you like I can email you pages from the ford manuel step by step
This is a sample
+1
Check to see if there is power the actuator on the transfer case. IF there is no power, check the relay.
STILLWATER10
Yes that would work. Thanks
DONALD DUCK
I checked the actuator on the transfer case and there was power, so proceeded to take it off to double check it and found out that one of the magnets epoxy broke down and came loose inside the guts of the actuator and was jamming the gear, so I just odered a new one instaled it and now the 4 wheel drive works fine. So food for thought for anyone who is having the same problem, double check the actuator.
+2
BMRFIXIT
Send me a message with you email

you can send me a private message