4 wheel drive not working

RANJO
  • 1997 FORD F-150

I have an on the floor 4 wheel drive shift lever. I can not move it forward or back, it will move side to side. Can not engage any 4 wheel drive. Is this a totally manual shifting application or is there some type of electronic switch that controls this? Tried both forward and reverse, it won't move. Is this model totally manual shift (no electronic or vacuum? I live in northern Wisconsin and maybe the linkage is frozen due to rust etc.

Wednesday, November 23rd, 2011 AT 2:39 AM

I DO NOT KNOW

IMMA JEEP CJ KINDA GUY

THEY ARE 100% RELIABLE MANUAL SHIFT

CRAWL YOUR HEAD UNDER AND LOOK!

THIS IS HOW A MANUAL CJ LOOKS (THIS IS WITH THE "HUMP" REMOVED, VIEWED FROM INSIDE)---LOOK FOR RODS---FROM THE LEVER GOING INTO THE TRANSFER CASE

-1
Monday, January 30th, 2017 AT 2:01 AM

GO AHEAD AND TELL YOUR STORY IN GREAT DETAIL--HISTORY--WHAT YOU HAVE DONE, ETC

IF I'M LOST, I'LL BRING ANOTHER EXPERT OVER TO LOOK

-1
Monday, January 30th, 2017 AT 2:01 AM
JJONES99F150

It has all of the same issues as the guys truck above. I do live in Ohio and it is RUSTY so I do have a feeling my linkage is froze up. The guy I got it from said that he always had to force it into 4wd so I'm hoping that he didn't bend anything.

Monday, January 30th, 2017 AT 2:01 AM

HAVE YOU HAD YOUR PAL WIGGLE THE SHIFTER WHILE YOU LOOK UNDERNEATH FOR ALL LINKAGES INVOLVED?

WHERE POSSIBLE MOVEMENT MIGHT BE GAINED, SPRAY STUFF DOWN WITH PENETRATING OIL

IF IT'S LOOKING REALLY BAD--SAND PAPER--SCRAPING--REPLACEMENT MIGHT BE WHAT IS NEEDED

NOT KNOWING MUCH ABOUT YOUR RIG'S SET-UP

YOU HAVE SEEN SOME OF MY JEEPS TRANSFER CASE

IT ALSO HAS A FEW GREASE FITTINGS(SHIFTER, ETC, 1ST PIC) AND OIL PORTS FOR THE SHIFT SHAFTS (2ND PIC)

. THEM SHIFT SHAFTS NEED TO RESEMBLE A "HYDRAULIC CYLINDER" NICE AND SHINY LIKE ON A TRACTOR! THEY MUST TRAVEL IN TIGHT TOLERANCE HOLES

SEE IF YOURS HAS LUBRICATION PLACES

KEEP US INFORMED ON PROGRESS

-1
Monday, January 30th, 2017 AT 2:01 AM
JJONES99F150

I got under my truck and like I thought it was very rusted. So I sprayed it down with pb blaster and wait a few hours. Then tried it again and it went right into 4wd.

+3
Monday, January 30th, 2017 AT 2:01 AM

MIGHT BE SOMETHING YOU SHOULD INCORPORATE INTO SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE

SAY. EVERY OIL CHANGE, SOAK IT DOWN?

WAY BACK IN THE 70s AND 80s, THE CJ OWNERS MANUALS SAY TO FIND YOU A DIRT ROAD AND DRIVE IN 4 X 4, ONE MILE, ONCE A MONTH, TO KEEP EVERYTHING LUBRICATED

GLAD YOU GOT IT MOVING!

-1
Monday, January 30th, 2017 AT 2:01 AM
RANJO
  • MERGED

I have an on the floor 4 wheel drive shift lever. I can not move it forward or back, it will move side to side. Can not engage any 4 wheel drive. Is this a totally manual shifting application or is there some type of electronic switch that controls this?

Monday, January 30th, 2017 AT 2:01 AM
EGGMAN1980
  • 1997 FORD F-150
  • MERGED

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1997 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 199918 miles

I have a 1997 Ford F-150. Today we got our first snow and discovered that the 4X4 was not engaging. The 4H and 4L light would come on but no 4x4. When switching into 4L I would hear a clunk and then when pulling foward it was geared down but only the rear tires would spin. In 4H turning a corner every once in a while I would hear one clunk but nothing would happen. 4H nothing would happen. I switched back and fourth a few times and the last time it clicked in the dash 5 or 6 times and the light went out. Not neither 4H or 4L light will come on and couldnt hear any clicking or clunking under the truck. I have checked fuses and all appear to be good. I was hoping for it to be an easy fix since this is my first year to push snow. Can anyone please help me?

Monday, January 30th, 2017 AT 2:05 AM
RACEFAN966
  • MERGED

Sound like the 4x4 shift motor on the back of the transfer case. Here is what it looks like and it is very easy to replace. If you have a digital multi meter we can run a test on it if you like let me know what you would like to do ok.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_767749_1.jpg

+1
Monday, January 30th, 2017 AT 2:05 AM
EGGMAN1980
  • MERGED

Well I replaced the Transfer case motor today. Still no 4X4.. Although the clicking behind the dash has stopped and the transfer case appears to be engaging. I was told that it could be the 2wd and 4wd vaccum solenoids on the passenger side firewall. Which is wierd because I have been told by numerous people that Ford doesnt use vaccum lines in the 4wd system. Im really confused now.

Monday, January 30th, 2017 AT 2:05 AM
RACEFAN966
  • MERGED

Ok so we fixed one problem but still have more. Ford does use vacuum set up to engage the front diff. Now the old motor may have shorted and taken out another components. Ok all that is left is the buttons and the GEM Module that controls all that kind of stuff and more. Do you have any way to pull codes from the gem? It is a different scanner then the OBD2 scanner. Here is the vacuum diagram for the front diff. Now keep in mind that the GEM controls all this when it know's the transfer case is engaged so check the vacuum lines and routing and make sure there are no leaks or broken lines if not then we will have to check the GEM. If you have access to an NGS (Next generation scan tester) this will make it a lot easier to check it. Let me know where you would like to go from here.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_Graphic_12.jpg

Monday, January 30th, 2017 AT 2:05 AM
JASONSTITH
  • 1997 FORD F-150
  • MERGED

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1997 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 97,800 miles

A while ago my 4wd would only work sometimes. Now it doesn't work at all. I found out that there is an actuator that you can zip tie down when you need to put it in 4wd. I think the problem is that the hubs won't lock, because they're vacuum actuated. Do you think I have a vacuum leak somewhere that might be causing this? Would it be hard to install manual locking hubs?

Monday, January 30th, 2017 AT 2:05 AM
  • MERGED

It could be either of the two. If you have electric shift 4wd, start by checking if the actuator on the transfer case is getting power. If it is, remove the actuator and confirm that it is working. If that is okay, then you most likely have a vacuum leak to the front axle.

Check that and let me know what you find.

Monday, January 30th, 2017 AT 2:05 AM
JASONSTITH
  • MERGED

The actuator is working. If it is depressed after I use the switch to engage the 4wd then the 4wd does work.

Monday, January 30th, 2017 AT 2:05 AM
  • MERGED

Check for vacuum leaks at the front axle. If the actuator is good, then the axle must not be engaging.

Monday, January 30th, 2017 AT 2:05 AM
OPMRAVCING
  • 1997 FORD F-150
  • MERGED

I have a 97 F-150 with a 4.2 v6 and a 5 speed manual tranny. I shift into 4 hi and nothing happens, no dash light or clicking in the dash like it used to. The same happens when trying 4 lo. When I start the truck, the indicator lights all light up including the 4x4 light and goes out like normal. I've visually checked the fuses in the cab and under the hood, also checked the vaccuum solenoids behind the battery and they are connected with no corrosion. Went under the truck and the shaft is engaged and turning when shifted into 4wd. I'm lost, please help, we just got 2' of snow and I can't even get out of my driveway. That's pathetic! Thanx in advance. Ray

Monday, January 30th, 2017 AT 2:05 AM
  • MERGED

Make sure there is power to the actuator on the transfer case. If there is, remove the actuator and check for operation.

Monday, January 30th, 2017 AT 2:05 AM
DOGMAN_ALMONT
  • 1997 FORD F-150
  • MERGED

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1997 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 132000 miles

I recently bought from a local dealership a 97 f-150. The saleman never really said why it was so cheap. I later found out that it's because it won't go into 4wd. I asked a friend who has only driven ford's, and he told me with out a doubt that it's the accuator on the front of the front axel that's the problem. So I bought an accuator installed that and that's not the problem. It still won't go into 4wd. It's a manual shift lever on the floor not the dial kind. I can move the lever side to side approxmitely 5-6" and back and forth about a 1/2". I have checked all fuse to make sure it wasn't that. My Question is what else could it be?

Monday, January 30th, 2017 AT 2:05 AM
BMRFIXIT
  • MERGED

The level have to move back and forth in is not enough

this is what happen the pivot bolt is rusted on,
not allowing you to place the transfer case into 4x4

under the truck locate the level,
disconnect it and remove the bolt (you may have to remove a bracket for a better clearance )
clean it, if the plastic sleeve no good replace it

you can try WD40 on it too it may or maynot work
good luck

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Monday, January 30th, 2017 AT 2:05 AM
KASLESEN
  • 1997 FORD F-150
  • MERGED

I had the transfer case range sensor go out. I replaced it but I still can not get the front end to engage in 4wd. The frond drive shaft engages but the diff in the front does not. The solenoids are not receiving the ground signal from the gem that they are supposed to. The wires leading to the position sensor are the correct voltage from what I have read. I don't know if there is another way to test if its the gem or if there is another relay somewhere that could be the problem. Help, no one can seem to answer this. Its MSOF by the way not electric, 4x4 light is not burnt out, and low range light works when put in low.

Monday, January 30th, 2017 AT 2:05 AM

Related Transfer Case 4x4 Engage Questions

Recommended articles