1997 Ford Explorer Slipping transmission

DCORRELL7335@CINCI.RR.COM
  • 1997 FORD EXPLORER
I love my 1997 Ford Explorer but something is wrong with it. We had the transmission replaced about 9 months ago. It costs us $1000 (friend price). The "new" transmission had 40,000 miles on it but the transmission hesitates when it is put in gear and it slips intermittantly. I have to let it "warm up" before I can drive it. I can come to a stop at a light and when the light changes and it is time to go, it sometimes will slip and then "kick" in to gear before it will go forward. It worries me. Body is in great condition and only 125,500 miles on it but I've been laid off now for a year so I cannot afford to replace the transmission again. I read something about a vacuum modulator valve or 4WD actuator. Could either of these be the problem? I also received a recall letter from Ford about a "speed control deactivation switch". Would have anything to do with it? I don't know what any of these are but can you help please.
Wednesday, February 24th, 2010 AT 12:24 PM

First, the trans doesn't use a vacuum modulator. Much older vehicles did. As far as the speed control deactivation device, it wouldn't cause the problem. However, it can cause a fire (while the car is off and parked in the garage) so I recommend having that taken care of ASAP. The 4wd actuator wouldn't cause it either. It is only activated when you require 4wd.

Now, is the trans full? Is the fluid clean? Have you had it serviced?

Let me know.
Wednesday, February 24th, 2010 AT 1:45 PM
DCORRELL7335@CINCI.RR.COM
Joe,
Thank you for your response to my question. As I mentioned previously we had the transmission replaced 9 months ago along with new fluid, and whatever else is done when a transmission is replaced. Granted the "new" transmission was a used but it only had 40,000 miles on it. Since we had it replaced we have not had it serviced. Should it need serviced? My husband does check the fluid and it is always full. I do not drive the Explorer much since I am unemployed. In fact, I have only driven about 1000 miles in the last 9 months, maybe. It has been slipping like I described since we had the transmission replaced and at first we thought there may be air in the lines and that it might stop after a little while but it hasn't. Any ideas what it could be? Thank you for the tip on the speed control deactivation device.I plan on getting that looked at asap.
Thank you,
Doris
-1
Thursday, February 25th, 2010 AT 12:20 AM