Transmission is slipping

SCOTTOBBQ
  • 1994 FORD EXPLORER
Transmission problem 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 179, 00 miles

This car is for my 16 year old son. The transmission has a hard time changing gears. You have to take your foot off the gas at 25 miles per hour so it will go into the next gear. Is it the tansmission going out due to age or is there something else we can do.
Monday, January 28th, 2008 AT 10:07 PM

MASONT
I know this doesnt help you much, but I have an '01 Explorer Sport purchased used w/about 120K miles on it. It does the same thing, I have to let off the gas for it to shift, and if I dont, it will rev up really high and slam into gear jerking the car. Im not sure what is the cause, my guess is the transmission going out, but I know that sometimes when it happens my O/D light will start to flash on and off until I turn my car off. Maybe it has to do with the over drive unit. Im curious what the answer to this issue is as well.
Wednesday, January 30th, 2008 AT 8:25 AM
TSUCHIDA
We own a 2000 Ford Explorer XLT, automatic with 66k miles on it and justabout 1 year ago we had the same symptoms. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd was slow and required high revs and when it did shift it was with a very audible THUNK and the SUV would jolt forward. Downshifting from 3rd to 2nd was a little slow but smooth. I checked the tranmsmission fluid immediately and it smelled smokey and had black streaks in it. Had it towed to a repair shop and the verdict was a burned up transmission. Come to find out, Ford transmissions were pure crap from mid 90's through early 2000. I did an internet search and saw plenty of forums with posts from people complaining of the same crappy Ford automatic transmissions. Luckedly we had an extended warranty and after ONLY $700 for the deductable we got a brand new transmission. Been running great since then.

I recommend checking the tranny fluid. If it smells smokey or has black streaks in it, then have it towed and expect about $2.5k for a new tranny.
Thursday, January 31st, 2008 AT 12:10 AM
MUSTANG87
These trucks had a problem with clogging the cat converter which makes the transmission shift way late and when you let you foot off the gas. Check this guide to confirm the issue.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-test-a-catalytic-converter

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers
Thursday, January 31st, 2008 AT 12:34 PM
SCOTTOBBQ
Yep that was the problem good call! I love this site. Everything working great it cost me 350.00 for s used cat.
Tuesday, March 13th, 2018 AT 3:49 PM