Computer defected car does not start?

LUVMENUCAR
  • 2005 FORD ESCAPE
Computer problem 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 59,800 miles

My car will not start, only makes a clicking sound when I turn key. I am told that all 6 coils are dead and that my catalytic converter is clogged, and I need new computer. Could this be due to neglecting to have a tune up?
Sunday, January 25th, 2009 AT 12:00 PM

WHIPPLE1386
Wow . . .first off who told you all of this? Sounds a little much for a no start. I would get another opinion. Sounds a little fishy to me. I think you need to replace the battery is all here is a guide to confirm the problem and another to show you how to install the battery.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-battery-load-test

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-car-battery

Please run down these guides and report back

Cheers, Ken
+1
Monday, January 26th, 2009 AT 6:44 PM
LINDA ROMERO
I have a 2005 escape that wouldn't start, then when it did it ran real ruff. When it was tested by a mechanic he said I need plugs, coils, and a catalytic converter. He also said ford put out a paper about this. Took it back to a ford dealer and i'm still waiting for the full bill. They replaced the plugs and coils and it now needs a computer. The bill now is 1.600. I have 83,000 miles on the car. I've only had it for 7 months. This is caused by the wrong plugs in the car and they screw up the one computer.
-1
Tuesday, February 3rd, 2009 AT 2:05 PM
JOYPWP
I am currently having the same issue as well. I had to get a new PCM, 6 coils, and my muffler cleaned out because the catalytic converter started to crumble. Anyhow, what was the grand total once everything was said and done for you all?
+1
Friday, March 13th, 2009 AT 1:06 PM
TMBRWOLF
I am going through the same thing as we speak. The car was originally diagnosed with code PO354 - a failing computer. Well, after blowing out TWO new ECMs ($700 gone, thank you very much) I received this new diagnosis and plan of action today - replace the plugs, the coils, and the CPU. Again. Did your repair fix the problem?
Thursday, March 26th, 2009 AT 6:55 PM
LINDA ROMERO
Right now the car is running ok. I still have trouble starting the car sometimes. My gas mileage is not what it should be. I don't know what to do next.
Sunday, March 29th, 2009 AT 4:46 PM
NOOTRAK4
After driving the second escape I knew something was wrong with the first one because the second escape drove more like my Mitsubishi nice and smooth. The bad thing about all this, Is that I fired one of my guys due to the fact that he had to gas up 3 times a week and I thought he was fueling up his car. (The first escape gets about 11 miles to the gallon). I took it to the mechanic he looked at it and said I don't feel any difference and asked me to bring the other escape after he drop both cars he realize there is something wrong. He plugged his computer and ran a test and the test give him a reading of the 02 sensor responding slowly and this maybe causing the cars computer to put more fuel and may explain why I was getting 11 miles to the gallon. I changed the 02 sensor yesterday and will be testing it this week, so I will let you know if this improved the mileage on the car. Will bring what I just read here up to his attention and ask him to take a look and see if the 02 sensor doesnt improve anything.

If everyone here can post there cars manufacturing date so at lease we can see if it was a batch of them with the same problem.
Escape 1 March 2004 (the one giving me problems)
Escape 2 April 2005 (working like a charm)

I really don't want to sell the car but I'm not willing to pay more then $2,000 to fix it. I would like to know if your cars have been fixed with what you guys have done to them.

Thank you
-1
Sunday, August 2nd, 2009 AT 7:50 PM
THEBLOB234
Wow I purchased a car with about the same amount of miles from a dealership. I have been told that I have the same problems. Does this mean ive purchased a lemon?
+2
Friday, October 23rd, 2009 AT 5:47 PM
ANNASKARO
I'm having the exact same problem with my 2005 Escape. After spending 3400 dollars at a local mechanic to get the computer, coils, and one catalytic converter changed, I took my car to a Ford mechanic, and he said Ford has an 80,000 mile warranty on their exhaust systems (which would include my catalytic converters). He told me even though my catalytic converters went out before I hit 80,000 miles, since I am now at 83,000, they can't do anything for me. I spoke to a supervisor at the Customer Service Center named Kevin who said he'd file my complaint with the engineering department. If enough people talk to Ford about this problem, they will consider calling a recall.

I am SO DISAPPOINTED in my vehicle right now. I graduated from college last December, just got a job, thought I was getting a solid vehicle. Now I have 6500 dollars in bills for this issue even though my car is only worth 8500.

The thing that upsets me the most about this whole ordeal is that, even though the catalytic converter parts were defective before the warranty expired, it took my computer and ignition coils going out (which also shouldn't happen until the vehicle is ten years old) to find this, and they still won't stand behind their product! Ford has definitely lost a customer in this case.
Monday, February 8th, 2010 AT 7:05 PM
SHEENASHANE
I also have a 2005 escape 3.0 with the same problem.
I replaced the computer, all the coil packs and spark plugs.
I still had a problem with my car, what I found with my car is that the back valve cover had resistance to ground.
I replaced the valve cover gasket kit and that clear the ground problem up.I able to drive my car again
+2
Monday, November 1st, 2010 AT 6:22 PM
KEN
Good thread, it looks like this car had a common problem.
Friday, December 2nd, 2016 AT 9:47 AM