1998 Dodge Ram won't shift

GARFIELDSHOME
  • 1998 DODGE RAM
Hi
I have the following problem:
in line at drive thru, put in park, then moved on in drive, put pack in park, tried to move into drive, nothing, except car now goes backwards, tried to put it in any other gear, no luck, still going backwards. After a while of flipping thru gears and nothing except backwards going, I turned the engine off and two guys helped push car out of drive thru. Now, since truck is in reverse stuck, it won't start because it's not in park or neutral. I didn't have nay problems before eith the tranny shifting not smoothly. Could it be the gearshifter in the steering wheel or tranny? Any other ideas? What am I looking at spending approximatley?
Saturday, September 27th, 2008 AT 10:17 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi garfieldshome,

You mean the gear shift is now not able to move or it moves but the gear shift indicator light is showing R?

1. If gearshift moves freely but indicator is not moving accordingly, it should be due to a dislodged/broken linkage along the gearshift to trans shift lever.

2. Another possibility is a faulty inhibiitor (PNP) switch.
Saturday, September 27th, 2008 AT 10:39 PM
GARFIELDSHOME
The gear is in rear, the shift part on the steering wheel is movable in every gear and shows then which one, but it won't shift, instead it stays in rear
Saturday, September 27th, 2008 AT 10:50 PM
KHLOW2008
Hi garfieldshome,

If you shift to P or N and are able to start and the linkages to the trans from the gear shift is ok, then the trans is faulty and you need a rebuild/replacement. The forward clutches are defective.
Sunday, September 28th, 2008 AT 1:12 AM
GARFIELDSHOME
I can not shift to P or N, thats the problem
Sunday, September 28th, 2008 AT 9:43 AM
KHLOW2008
Since the gear lever is stuck, you need to check the linkages and shift column.
Monday, September 29th, 2008 AT 8:39 AM