Transmission will not shift

SHAMANBMXER
  • 1997 DODGE RAM
My truck is a V8 four wheel drive with an automatic transmission. Where is the shift solenoid relay located?

The truck will not shift into fourth nor first gear. Only has second and third. The code it is throwing is p0753 and the mechanic that pulled the code said the computer said shift solenoid relay which I have found out is aka the governor solenoid. A tech at Aamco transmissions told me the same today. And also said he thinks it is in the transmission pan. Thank you.
Tuesday, March 30th, 2010 AT 6:55 PM

DOCFIXIT
Yes, P0753 is an open or short in governor solenoid/relay. See diagram it is located on valve body. Check wiring and connector for corrosion at the connector.
.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/198357_Graphic_427.jpg

You will need to drop the pan as well.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-service-an-automatic-transmission

There is also a transmission control relay that can cause the transmission not to work right.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

Here is a transmission wiring diagram to help you see what you are doing.

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers
-1
Friday, April 2nd, 2010 AT 1:50 PM
SHAMANBMXER
Well I replaced the governor solenoid, relay and filter while I was there and not only did it not fix the problem, but now it seems worse. The truck now can barley make it up the slight slope of my driveway. Now I really do not know what to do. Thank for the information on the solenoid.
Monday, April 5th, 2010 AT 10:44 AM
2CARPROS LINSEY
Hi shamanbmxer, I just wanted to see where you were with your Dodge, did you resolve your transmission issue? Let us know.
Friday, April 9th, 2010 AT 11:43 AM
SHAMANBMXER
No I have not, it is still sitting in my driveway. After replacing the governor solenoid and filter and new fluid to replace what was in the pan it got worse not better. Now the truck will barely move and I think I need to have the transmission rebuilt.
+2
Friday, April 9th, 2010 AT 5:22 PM
DOCFIXIT
Was there clutch material in the pan, dark pieces or sludge? Any bronze or silver particles in pan? Check brown wire on solenoid plug for voltage, the fuse might be blown.
+2
Monday, April 12th, 2010 AT 9:56 AM
SHAMANBMXER
There was quite a bit of sludge in the pan and the transmission fluid was very dark with like silver floating on top.
+2
Wednesday, April 14th, 2010 AT 3:25 PM
DOCFIXIT
Okay, it sounds like you need a rebuild.
+1
Thursday, April 15th, 2010 AT 7:58 AM
1999DODGERAMIN
Hello I have the exact same problem with my 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 only I have no sludge nor shavings whatsoever in the pan and fluid is great color. I checked brown wire and have no power ( key off, key on, and key on truck in drive). I am stumped it seems as though the transmission relay is good. I am lost as to where to hit next. Please help.
Thank you. 1999ramin
+1
Friday, June 14th, 2013 AT 10:58 PM
EL NAYARITA
I have a question. Recently my 1997 Ram 5.2 is not shifting good. It takes off well but it takes a while for it to go into second gear like it goes into high rpm's and will not shift. I let of the gas and it shifts into second then there are times when it shifts into second then first then second again. Can it be my solenoids it something? Thanks
+1
Wednesday, June 29th, 2016 AT 4:22 PM
CRYSTAL GALVAN
I have an automatic 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 4 wheel drive. I just changed my transmission filter and oil. When I went to drive it changes into gears but when it comes to driving the it does not shift. What can be the problem?
+1
Thursday, June 8th, 2017 AT 7:42 PM
KEN

It sounds like you have a shift solenoid that has gone out. Here is a transmission wiring diagram so you can do some testing. Check each solenoid to see if one is way different that will be the bad one.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-voltmeter

You also have some fuses and a relay that need to be checked as well

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-fuse

and

Please run some tests and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Cheers, Ken

-1
Monday, June 12th, 2017 AT 2:12 PM
JESSICA1984
  • 1997 DODGE RAM
I changed the transmission because reverse grinded. And now its not shifting unless I do it manually. Then it does fine. I put a tester on it it said it was the pressure control solenoid A. I changed that out and it still reads that its the solenoid. What is causing it.
Wednesday, April 18th, 2018 AT 10:02 AM (Merged)
Diagnostic fault codes never say to replace parts or that they are bad. They only indicate the circuit or system that needs further diagnosis, or the unacceptable operating condition. When a part is referenced in a fault code, like you found, that part is only responsible for the code about half of the time. First we have to rule out wiring and connector problems, then we use a scanner to activate the circuit so we can take voltage readings and check for proper operation.

Without a scanner, about the only thing you can do is test for continuity through the solenoid from the terminals in the connector for the Power Train Computer. You also have to be more specific on the fault code. There is a number of them related to each solenoid, and they mean very different things. Some codes refer to a control wire being open, as in a cut wire or corroded connector terminal. Some refer to a wire being grounded to the body. Some codes refer to the solenoid being activated, but a pressure sensor did not see the expected results.
DODGE FOREVER
  • 1997 DODGE RAM
In drive overdrive it will rev up to 2,200 rpm;s suppose to downshift it will only go down to 2,000
if I let foot of the gas it will downshift.
Any ideas?
I am not understanding exactly what you are describing, but most problems involving incorrect shift times and speeds are due to a sticking kick-down cable between the throttle body and transmission.
DODGE FOREVER
When driving it normally would kick down to 1,500-1,700 rpm's now it wont kick down lower that 2,000 rpm's unless I take my foot off of the gas.
+1
Oh. That sounds like the torque converter is not locking up. Chrysler has been the leader since the 1950's in developing innovations that benefit owners, and the lock-up converter is one of those. They did this for better fuel mileage starting in the mid 1970's.

What you are describing is the way all automatic transmissions worked before these lock-up torque converters came along. The engine runs 500 - 1,000 rpm faster than the transmission. That is what allows it to stay running when the truck is standing still in gear. That additional 1,000 rpm is what you are seeing on the highway, and since the engine and transmission are not locked solidly together, the engine is free to slow down a lot when you let off the accelerator pedal.

With this lock-up converter, the engine and transmission should be locked together when the engine is warmed up, you are in third or overdrive, and you are above about forty mph. That is exactly the same then as you'd see with a manual transmission and clutch.

The converter will unlock when vehicle speed drops too low, you tap the brake pedal, (because the computer thinks you might be getting ready to come to a stop), you hit wide-open-throttle, (then torque converters double engine torque over what you would have with a manual transmission), or you release the accelerator pedal, to reduce engine drag and allow you to coast more efficiently.

Now that you are an expert on what the system does, we have to figure out why it is not doing that. A defect in one part of the brake light switch can incorrectly tell the computer you are pressing the brake pedal, so it will command the converter to unlock. Usually then the cruise control will not work either. The throttle position sensor could be sending an incorrect signal voltage that is telling the computer to unlock the converter. There can be other electrical problems too with the circuit that runs the lock-up clutch inside the converter.

The place to start is by reading and recording any diagnostic fault codes. Chrysler makes doing that yourself much easier than any other manufacturer. Cycle the ignition switch from "off" to "run" three times within five seconds without cranking the engine, leave it in "run", then watch the code numbers show up in the odometer display.

There are specific conditions that must be met to set a fault code. A sensor can send an incorrect voltage that is still within the acceptable range, so no fault code will be set but there can be other symptoms. When there are no fault codes, you will need a scanner to view live data to see what the Engine Computer is seeing. It will also show if the computer is commanding the converter to lock up or not. Usually the scanner will not show why it will not lock up though. You have to figure that out from the data being displayed.
CHEWYTOY
  • 1997 DODGE RAM
1997 Dodge Ram V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 185,000 miles.

My transmission will not shift gears, if it does it happens at really high rpm's between 4,000 and 5,000 is this a short in the governor solenoid/relay. I just had the transmission serviced and there was little clutch or anything minus transmission fluid in it help please.
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Could be solenoid or transmission sensor among other things. Would have to run diagnostic on automatic transmission to pinpoint the culprit, otherwise it is just a guessing game.
JALLISON
  • 1997 DODGE RAM
Recently I purchased a Dodge Ram and did not notice any problems until I drove it a far distance. When I drove it for two hours it started not shifting into the next gear and the rpms woudl go sky high. It even a couple times would stay in one gear and then kick back to the lower gear. I also was driving and it would not shift to the next gear. The transmission shop I took it to said their is nothing wrong with it and they could not get it to do that.
Please help is this fixable or do I need a new transmission?