SHIFT SOLENOID RELAY

1997 Dodge Ram

shamanbmxer

March, 30, 2010 AT 6:55 PM

1997 Dodge Ram V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

where is the shift solenoid relay located on a 1997 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with an automatic transmission

Docfixit

April, 1, 2010 AT 10:52 AM

Hi
There is no solenoid relay solenoids are controled for shifting by TCM. There is a Transmission Control Relay in Power Distribution Center. What is problem?
Let me know
Thanks for donate

shamanbmxer

April, 2, 2010 AT 2:31 AM

The truck will not shift into fourth nor first gear. Only has second and third. The code it is throwing is p0753 and the mechanic that pulled the code said the computer said shift solenoid relay which ive found out is aka the governor solenoid. A tech at aamco transmissions told me the same today. And also said he thinks its in the tranny pan. Thank you

Docfixit

April, 2, 2010 AT 1:50 PM

Yes P0753 is an open or short in Governor solenoid/relay
see diagram it is located on valve body. Check wirirng and connector wiggle test before droping pan.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/198357_Graphic_427.jpg

shamanbmxer

April, 5, 2010 AT 10:44 AM

Well I replaced the gov. Solenoid and filter while I was there and not only did it not fix the problem but now it seems worse. The truck now can barley make it up the slight slope of my driveway. Now I really dont know what to do. Thanx for the info on the solenoid.

2CarPros Linsey

April, 9, 2010 AT 11:43 AM

Hi shamanbmxer, I just wanted to see where you were with your dodge, did you resolve your trans issue? Let us know.

shamanbmxer

April, 9, 2010 AT 5:22 PM

No I have not it is still sitting in my driveway. After replacing the governor solenoid and filter and new fluid to replace what was in the pan it got worse not better. Now the truck ill barely move and I think I need to have the trans rebuilt.

Docfixit

April, 12, 2010 AT 9:56 AM

Was there clutch material ie. Dark pieces or slug? Any bronze or silver particals in pan? Check Brown wire on solenoid plug for voltage

shamanbmxer

April, 14, 2010 AT 3:25 PM

There was quite a bit of sludge in the pan and the tranny fluid was very dark with like silver floating on top.

Docfixit

April, 15, 2010 AT 7:58 AM

O.K. Rebuild needed

1999dodgeramin

June, 14, 2013 AT 10:58 PM

Hello I have the exact same problem with my 1999 dodge ram 1500 5.2 only I have no sludge nor shavings whatsoever in the pan and fluid is great color I checked brown wire and have no power ( key off, key on, and key on truck in drive) I am stumped it seems as though the transmission relay is good I am lost as to where to hit next please help.
Thank you 1999ramin