2003 Dodge Neon Car won't Start

• 1 POST
  • 2003 DODGE NEON

2003 Dodge Neon 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 68,000 miles

I reassembled this neon after a minor front end wreck. I have done three of these now, but car electrical has never been my thing. Ran excellent for a few days, but the windshield washer pump was not working. I pulled a few fuses under the hood (without disconnecting the battery, car not running of course) and reinstalled them. Let the car sit for a few days cause of bad weather. Looked at the inside fuses. Wanted to take the car to a friends indoor shop to look into it more in detail as well as do the front breaks, but the car will not start now. Car cranks and it has fuel pressure in the lines, but not getting spark. Did I do something wrong? What should I look at, or what may be the problem?

Friday, March 27th, 2009 AT 4:23 PM

Is the "Check Engine" light on? Is the Automatic Shutdown (ASD) relay turning on? Watch that relay with the cover off. You can also measure for battery voltage on the small terminals on the back of the alternator. Ignition coil too, but I'm not sure which wire. It's easier to just watch the ASD relay.

That relay will turn on for up to two seconds when you turn the ignition switch to "Run", then it will turn off. During that two seconds, battery voltage will be applied to the ignition coils, fuel injectors, alternator field terminal, and the fuel pump or pump relay. That's where your fuel pressure is coming from.

After that, the engine computer will turn the ASD relay back on when it sees engine rotation, (cranking or running). However, if the cam timing is off, the computer won't turn the relay on. One tooth off on the timing belt and the Check Engine light will come. Two teeth off and the engine will shut down. Three teeth off and a piston could hit a valve.

If the timing marks are correct, remove the camshaft sprocket and look at the dowel pin. It will likely be broken. The cam slips just a little on the sprocket making it late. The cam sensor is on the other end of the head so its pulses are late too compared to the crankshaft position sensor.

After replacing the dowel pin, rotate the engine at least two revolutions by hand, then recheck the timing marks. Now it's ready to start.

Monday, March 30th, 2009 AT 3:56 AM