2000 Dodge Neon Rear tire locks up after rain

KSTEELE26
  • 2000 DODGE NEON

Brakes problem
2000 Dodge Neon 4 cyl Automatic 48,520 miles

After it rains the next morning my driver side rear tire locks up. I have to try to back and brake a few times to re-adjust my brakes then the car drives fine (until it rains again) what would cause this?
Thank you for your time.

Friday, February 5th, 2010 AT 4:02 PM

Brake linings contain metallic particles to help dissipate heat. That metal is rusting to the brake drums. If this occurs after driving through puddles, there could be a rubber plug missing from the inspection holes in the backing plates. If it rains while the car sits undriven for many days, the humidity could cause the rust. More commonly, that will cause the wheel to lock up easily when you apply the brakes for the first time of the day, but they will release without problem.

A less common cause of easy lockup is weak shoe return springs. Most do-it-yourselfers just replace shoes when performing a brake job, but professionals usually will replace the springs and other hardware too.

Locking up solidly suggests one of the shoes is too close to the drum. The most common cause is a sticking parking brake cable that doesn't fully release. Next time this happens, try flexing the cable / casing assembly just in front of the wheel. If the brake releases, the cable should be replaced.

Tuesday, February 9th, 2010 AT 12:36 AM
2CARPROS KEN

Hey KSTEELE26,

Try hitting reverse to see if you can get the wheels to break loose.

Here is something to look at so you can see whats going on.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/parking-brake-shoe-replacement

Please let us know happens so it will help others.

Best, Ken

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 12:12 PM
GARZATORRES1
  • 2005 DODGE NEON
  • AWD
  • MERGED

After I drive about eight miles, my rear passengers tire locks up.

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 12:14 PM
  • MERGED

Check brakes and rear wheel bearing, caliper or parking brake may be doing it or a bad wheel bearing.

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 12:14 PM
KLA42187
  • 1999 DODGE NEON
  • MERGED

My car has been sitting for about a little over 3 months, and when I went to drive it today for the first time since I parked, I found that back passenger side tire won't turn, how do I remedy this?

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 12:15 PM
  • MERGED

Its locked-up you need to go behind the backing plate and go thru the inspection hole to contract the brake adjuster-you best bet is to remove the drum and inspect it-

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 12:15 PM
  • MERGED

The metallic brake linings have rusted to the brake drum from humidity in the air. You'll have to just keep working it back and forth until it releases. Pump the brake pedal while trying to move slowly on blacktop or concrete, not on dirt or gravel.

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 12:15 PM
KLA42187
  • MERGED

Great, my drive way is gravel.

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 12:15 PM
SHOLLORAN
  • 2001 DODGE NEON
  • MERGED

I own a 2001 Dodge neon. 4 cylinder 2.0 liter. I was heading to school this morning and was backing out of my driveway perfectly fine when all of a sudden my car did a little jolt and it was acting like it was stuck. When I hit the gas more the car would move but it was dragging. I had my sister get out of the car and I tried again. The rest of my wheels (both front wheels and the left back wheel) move and work but the right one is locked up. My question is what could possible be wrong? And what are the causes?

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 12:15 PM
  • MERGED

Check wheel bearing or brakes for being frozen

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 12:15 PM