HEADLIGHTS

2001 Dodge Caravan

Donald R Marvin

December, 8, 2007 AT 12:43 PM

2001 Dodge Caravan V6 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 124967 KLMS

Hi, when the headlights are on low beam the passenger side only lights but when I change to the upper beams the drivers side only lights, bulbs and wireing check ok. Don, Thanks for now.
P.S. ONLY THE DAYTIME DRIVING LIGHT ON THE DRIVERS SIDE LIGHTS.

Dodgeguy43

December, 22, 2007 AT 11:11 AM

On the RS van the front lights are controled by the FCM (front Control module) If your wiring and bulbs are indeed good. The FCM is the problem. It is attached to the PDC (power Distribution Center). Both units combined it is called an IPM (integrated Power Module)

Davegh77

January, 11, 2008 AT 10:24 AM

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan headlight issue updated. Well now that it has been a couple of weeks and the lights are still working properly on the van. So that tells me that the problem is with the FCM. I have since also done the same thing to a friends van ( 2002 though) and for the last 9 days, it has also worked without a glitch.

So, for anyone who was thinking of running off to the dealer and forking out hundreds for part(s) and labour. Don t do it. Chances are, removing the FCM yourself, cleaning it, replacing it will save you hundreds. Forget wasting your time trying to get it done through Dodge. It takes all of 10 minutes and your good to go.

In case anyone wants to know as others have posted: It is a very simple process.
1. Just remove the plastic cover over the PDC ( which is the black cover beside the battery. )
2. Looking at the front of the PDC is a silver housing with 4 torx screws.
3. Remove the 4 screws.
4. Pull out the FCM housing. ( It separates from the PDC )
5. Looking at the FCM, you ll see 2 rows of needle pins, and 1 row of flat pins.
6. The flat pins are the culprits, what I did was use a fine small file and cleaned both sides of the flat pins only. They appeared to have a white coating of buildup on them.
7. Then I took small needle nose pliers and gave each flat pin a very small slight twist. Not to much, but a noticeable twist.
8. I re-inserted the FCM into the PDC, tighten back the 4 torx screws and voila!
9. Lights have been on for the last 2 weeks and 5 days now.

Now, if I could just get my power window on the passenger side to work 100 % of the time as opposed to 75 % of the time, I d be a happy camper.

pcos_us

May, 25, 2008 AT 3:14 PM

Thanks for the FCM instructions. I struggled to remove a 5th screw and your directions made me realize only the 4 outer torque screws need to be removed.

My lights would flash at night when the car was parked, and the headlight warning bell would beep/ding when I shut off the car and opened the door. I followed your instructions but used a razor blade to scrape the ends. So far so good. Thanks

vicksslc

December, 16, 2009 AT 11:52 PM

This worked like a charm. I took some video and pictures if anyone's interested. This saved me $917 bucks!

Briansmish

July, 1, 2012 AT 4:33 AM

I did what was answered about the FCM, lights are working now, but now my 2001 Dodge Caravan doesn't start. No crank, just a click, and fuel injector on, and all lights works good now! Help!

Briansmish

July, 1, 2012 AT 4:40 AM

I wonder if my dodge caravan needs to be reprogrammed, because I took out my (front Control module) then I put it back! Could that be the problem!

giacchinolech

Davegh77 Thanks for the 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Headligth Issue, your answer worked like a champ. Now if I could get my front blower motor to work I would be in good shape.

Thanks again

Baddadgino

Melvina Alexson

February, 1, 2016 AT 8:07 AM

Thanks for the info I' m going to try this to my van : )

Headlight Bulb Replacement Volkswagen Jetta
Headlight Bulb Replacement Acura MDX
Headlight Bulb Replacement GMC Yukon
Headlight Lens/Housing Replacement Mini