Chevy Malibu has a shake when I drive at high & low speeds

MARYVISION
  • 2003 CHEVROLET MALIBU
Hi,
Just a few weeks ago I felt a wobbly/shake in my car when I was driving. It felt like when you have a tire loose. I realized that one of the tire weights were gone, so I brought it to a local Pep Boys to have my tires balanced. They came out and said the shaking was because I needed all 4 new tires because all 4 had broken belts. This seemed a bit strange, so I took it to a local garage to see if they could check my tires. It turned out that my 2 back tires were shot, but he said the front two should last awhile to come. So I replaced the back tires and left only to feel my car still have that wobbly/shaking feeling when I drove it a high & slow speeds. Nothing tremendous, but enough to feel that something isn't right. No noise coming from anywhere either. Just a slight shaking of the steering wheel as well. WHen I brought it back to the garage, they took it for a test drive only & said it seemed like the Trans Axles. They had no quote of price and also did not even put it on a life when they diagnosed the car. This seems strange because someone said it could possibly be that the 2 front tires need to be balanced. But I don't know what to think. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Monday, March 3rd, 2014 AT 1:06 PM

STILL SOUNDS LIKE A BROKEN BELT

SORTA A GOOSE EGG ON THE TIRE. IT MIGHT BE SHORT IN LENGTH OR COULD RUN A LONG WAYS AROUND THE TIRE

TWO EZ WAYS TO FIND OUT FOR SURE AT HOME

GET ON LEVEL GROUND, "CHOCK" YOUR REAR WHEELS (ON A FRONT WHEEL DRIVE) AND PUT THE VEHICLE IN NEUTRAL

1ST WAY) THIS METHOD JUST REQUIRES A JACK. BARELY JACK ONE OF THE FRONT TIRES OFF THE GROUND (YOU WILL DO THE OTHER NEXT)

. BARELY MEANING. IT WILL SPIN FREE. BUT AN "ANT" WOULD HAVE TO DUCK TO GO UNDER IT

SPIN THE TIRE. DOES IT GRAB THE FLOOR BEFORE IT GETS ALL THE WAY AROUND? WE ARE LOOKING FOR IT TO BE "OUT OF ROUND"

KEEP IN MIND IF THE GOOSE EGG WAS ON THE GROUND, THE REST OF THE WHEEL IS HIGHER OFF THE GROUND. COMPENSATE. OR

LAY YOUR HEAD ON THE GROUND AND WATCH THE GAP CHANGE BETWEEN THE TIRE AND THE GROUND AS YOU SPIN IT BY HAND

2ND WAY) SWAP EACH FRONT TIRE (WHEEL) WITH ONE ON THE BACK (ONE AT A TIME) THEN TEST DRIVE IT EACH TIME

WHEN THE CRAPPY WHEEL GOES TO THE REAR, YOUR STEERING SHOULD IMPROVE. YOU MAY FEEL THE CRAPPY TIRE ON THE BACK SORTA BOUNCE/ JUMP/ MAKE A RACKET

RETURN HERE WITH GOOD NEWS!

Monday, March 3rd, 2014 AT 4:27 PM
TY ANDERSON
It sounds like your tires are causing the wobbly feeling.
Rotate the front tires to the rear (old tires) and the rear tires to the front (new tires) to see if the feeling in the steering wheel goes away.
+3
Monday, March 3rd, 2014 AT 9:37 PM
. WELL, WHAT HAVE WE COME UP WITH?

Tuesday, March 4th, 2014 AT 3:15 PM