2002 Chevy Venture not starting after running out of gas, a

GANCAN72
  • 2002 CHEVROLET VENTURE
My chevy venture van ran out of gas the other day. I put 4-5 gallons in and it still will not start. Have tried starting fluid, tapping on gas tank and still nothing. The tow driver said he did not hear the fuel pump humming. Is it shot or might it be something else? Ty
Wednesday, January 20th, 2010 AT 5:04 PM

HAHNY1
When you ran out of gas did you leave the key on for any extended period of time, if so the pump could have burned out by trying to prime itself up, also the pump uses the fuel in the tank for cooling itself so running them out is hard on them. I would check the pump by one of two ways first I would check the pressure which can be done up on the fuel rail, or if possible listen to see if you can here it run when you turn the key on, if not check the fuses/relays
-1
Friday, February 19th, 2010 AT 7:34 PM
NIZ76
Sounds like u burned out the fuel pump :o I ran mine out of gas and sure enough-- burned out the fuel pump. Kinda stinks since it fairly expensive to replace: $350.00 or so. I replaced it myself but not sure if id reccommend cuz it involves dropping the whole gas tank also some slight wiring mods due to after market fix of an apparently weak OEM plug on the fuel pumps. Not too hard of a job for a backyard mechanic though- It made me cuss a few times but I got the job done in about 3 hrs. Autozone guy said these fuel pumps are VERY fragile and prone to burnout due to running out of gas or even low gas since the fuel itself inside your gas tank is what cools the fuel pump. Hopes this helps someone. Oh btw, I had to take a trip back to the store to get the fuel line retaining clips cuz they dont come on new fuel pump so dont forget them!
Jeramy
Monday, March 22nd, 2010 AT 6:05 PM