2000 Chevy Venture no start at times

JOE1234
  • 2000 CHEVROLET VENTURE
My van has let me sit by not starting numerous times I had the fuel pump replaced but still have same problems get in to go wont start like a no fuel condition swapped relays do not hear fuel energize go back 2 days later van starts my run for a week or so then won't start
Saturday, August 21st, 2010 AT 7:18 AM

FREEMBA
First thing to do is to verify that the engine isn't getting fuel after it cuts off. Check for a spark at one of the spark plug wires after it cuts off and will not restart. (Ignition problems can cause these same symptoms).
If there is not spark let me know and I will post info on how to diagnose the ignition system.

In order to check for a spark at one of the spark plug wires, remove the spark plug wire from the spark plug. Connect it to a spark tester and connect the other end of the spark tester to a good engine ground (a bolt will do fine). Have an assistant to crank the engine and you should see a spark jump the gap in the spark tester. If so, the ignition system is doing its' job. If not more testing f the ignition system is required.
If a spark tester is not available, remove the spark plug wire from the spark plug and lay it (horizontally) on a metal part of the engine. Have an assistant to crank the engine and you should see a spark jump from the end of the spark plug wire to the metal engine surface.

Also, if you suspect that it's not getting fuel, spray some carb cleaner into the intake manifold and then try to to start the engine. If it starts (or tries to start) and then dies, the problem is that it isn't getting gas for some reason, then we'll diagnose the fuel system.
As it is, since you've repalced a couple of part in the fule system, check for a fuel or relay loose fit in it's socket. Loose connections here could cause iintermittent problems. Also check fuel pump connection at tankif possible.
Saturday, August 21st, 2010 AT 1:10 PM