Stalls while driving

SHIBOY
  • 2003 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN

Suburban - 5.3L -102k miles. Several problems, however I'll start with the major problem of stalling while driving. First started noticing problem when I drove it to PHX (hot) a week ago. The vehicle will eventually start back up after a couple of minutes, runs fine for 10-20 miles, then same thing. This is all in the day time of 85 + degrees, notice at night time it runs fine with out stalls. Is something overheating? The stall usually happens when you demand a little more acceleration, then idle speed drops below 1k then turns off.

I took it into the dealer shop with no bad checks, all is well I’m told, no SES light. Changed spark plugs, Change air filter to K&N, Fuel system clean process. Checked transmission fluids.

Other problems - Speedometer dead, Bose Stereo system works when it wants to, Service air-bags light comes on at random

Some say it’s the fuel pump going bad, I had that replaced several months back. Would daytime heat play a roll in malfunctioning in the pump?

Sunday, May 28th, 2006 AT 9:04 AM

NATERZR2

I had a similar problem, but was more random stalling. I have a 99 Tahoe with the 5.7L V8. Common problem with this engine was the "crankshaft positioning sensor" I chased this stalling problem for 2 years, and about $3K, and the code never came up when they ran it under the computer. Changed the $80 part and she runs like a dream. May be worth checking out.

+4
Friday, June 2nd, 2006 AT 1:16 PM
KYTONJ

I have had a similar problem from a 2003 tahoe with flex fuel motor. Had fuel pump replaced yesterday, but still stalls periodically. Vehicle can be shut off for 1-2 min and problem corrects itself. If I don't run the a/c. It's fine. I have about 90,000 miles

-1
Saturday, July 29th, 2006 AT 10:55 AM
THINKOFWHY

Shiboy, I've got the exact same problem stalls when driving in hot weather after the engine temp goes past vertical, about 10 - 15 minutes. Then it restarts after 5-10 minutes, but stalls again, and again. But it runs fine if the weather is cool or overcast. Replacing the ignition module didn't help, and I don't want to spend $1,000's to replace all suspect parts. I thinking its the Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF). Something that heats up in hot weather yet isn't directly related to enging temp. Haven't figured it out yet. :(

-1
Saturday, July 29th, 2006 AT 12:29 PM
SERVICE WRITER

The 5.3's had a tsb on a leaking fuel pressure regulator. While this may not be the problem, it's worth checking.

+2
Saturday, July 29th, 2006 AT 1:50 PM
MIKEYBDMAN

I would say the chances of an overheating problem being the fuel pump is probably not that high. Ever since the manufactures sank the fuel pumps in the tanks, things like vapor lock, and overheating have become a thing of the past. Not to say that fuel pumps dont go bad, because they do. I just dont see too many that are heat related.
It sounds like something under your hood is overheating and causing the problem. I would suggest getting it up to temperature, and taking it to the dealer for repair on the hottest day going. Make them test drive it until they get stranded. Then they will make an attempt to fix it.
Good luck, because as this post is showing, one of the largest problems we are faced with these days are cars that stall, or dont start while they are hot. I wish there was a simple explination that would fix each one, but I am affraid it can be so many different things.
The best thing you guys can do is post what actually fixed your problems when they are fixed.

-1
Saturday, July 29th, 2006 AT 3:55 PM
EJ567

Shiboy, did you ever find the solution for your Suburban?

Saturday, September 19th, 2015 AT 3:27 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Yes, he told us that it was the BCM that had shorted out causing the engine to stall and the other electrical problems he was having, I hope this helps.

Please let us know what you find ;)

Cheers, Ken

Thursday, May 18th, 2017 AT 11:49 AM
POPPS42
  • 2003 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN

2003 Chevy Suburban V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 103000 miles

My 2003 surburban will just turn-off while I'm driving. Mostly when I begin to apply the breaks or sometimes when I try to accelerate from a neutral position What can cause this problem. I already replaced the battery, alternator, fuel pump, and it still shuts off. Any suggestions? I don't want to replace parts I don't need to. Please help!

Thursday, May 18th, 2017 AT 11:53 AM (Merged)

Welcome to the forum. If the vehicle dies when you step on the brake, it may be a closed throttle issue? You could take the throttle-body off and give it a cleaning, remove the sensors. Make sure any iac passages are clear. Have the codes checked, if there are any?

+1
GONZALESRM
  • 2003 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN

Battery Died, replaced battery, when car started had to run it for 10 minutes parked before I could actually drive off because the car kept stalling. Drove the car home 45 miles on the freeway and this morning it started up fine but keeps stalling out. It turns right over after stalling but will not stay on to drive for very long.

Side note, before this happened not sure if its related, but when you would make a left turn the car would stall out occassionalyy particulary when it was cold. That could be throttle body issue correct?

Anytime the battery is disconnected the security system has to be reset. See pic.

SHAWNL3
  • 2003 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN

2003 Chevy Suburban V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 65000 miles

Please help! My 2003 Suburban starts fine but then dies 5-10 seconds later. It sputters before it dies. This problem accurs when my truck is idling. WEIRD!

Try cleaning out the idle air control valve and see what happens

EBREAU
  • 2003 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN

2003 Suburban lost power(not electrical) of engine, now will start and stay running for like 5 seconds and then wont start again for an hour. Put in 40bucks of fuel same day it happened earlier in the day.

WRENCHTECH

Test your fuel pressure with a gauge. Sounds like fuel pump is bad. It needs MINIMUM of 55PSI to run

MARKE
  • 2003 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN

68k miles

Hello! I need a little help here figuring out what happened. I had my car doors open and radio playing while cleaning out my car. Afterwards, it wouldn't start. I thought- must be the battery, tried jumper cables, but it was so weak that didn't work. Took the battery to the store and had it recharged. Now the car will turn on, but within 5 minutes it completely shuts off. Thought maybe the alternator went bad, replaced it today, but it's still shutting off while driving. Right before shutting down, the car shakes a little bit and I hear a little knocking sound coming from the engine area. Also, I'm overdue for an oil change, don't know it that has anything at all to do with whats going on. Thanks for any advice you can provide.

BLACKOP555

Try having the battery tested, might have a bad cell in it.

Check fuel filiter and fuel pump also may not getting proper fuel, explaining the knocking.

MARKE

Thanks Blackop555! Had the battery checked, and it's good, so I'll check the fuel filter/pump.

KPH
  • 2003 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN

2003 Chevy Suburban V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 118000 miles

My Suburban keeps dies or trying to die when in idle. My check engine light came on and we had it tested and it said suspected Mass Air Flow Sensor so we had that replaced but the problem still persist. The only thing is it only happens when it is cold outside (45 or below) the light goes off and it works fine when it is warm! I am wondering if anyone has any idea what this could be?

Hello, what was the actual code? The code won't tell you what to replace, just the general area, where the system thinks the problem is located.

Without a code, the first thing I would check is the idle system. You need to do some testing before you replace anything.