Cranks but won't start

JOENUCK
  • 2001 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Truck will crank over as normal, no thrown codes. We checked all fluids, replaced the rotor and cap, and now the crankshaft position sensor. There is no fuel getting to the rail. We sprayed starting fluid in to it and it started right up but dies soon after. Any ideas?
Saturday, December 13th, 2008 AT 7:17 PM

BMRFIXIT

This sounds like a classic fuel pump failure, do you hear the pump run when you turn the key on without cranking the engine over? If not let's check the pump fuse and relay to confirm the pump failure. Here are guides to help you test the fuse and relay.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

If okay here are diagrams to help you change the pump out with a guide to help walk you through the steps.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-an-electric-fuel-pump

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.
Saturday, December 13th, 2008 AT 7:22 PM
WAYNEL
Thank you for this post I had to get a new pump from Amazon for $133.00 works great! Here is the pump I used

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00171UG4G/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=2carprcom-20&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B00171UG4G&linkId=c3641d82ecd02dcf7d0bf3c73d51a676

I love this site.
Thursday, December 27th, 2018 AT 7:35 PM
MELISSA12
  • 2001 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
When I go to start my truck it turns over but will not start. I checked battery connection, oil pressure, oil, gas says quarter tank. No leaks as far as I can see. I have no idea what the problem is I made sure it was in park still didn't work just turned over, tried in neutral still nothing.
Thursday, December 27th, 2018 AT 7:35 PM (Merged)
JOHNNYT73
Start by checking fuel pressure and spark. This guide will help

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

-1
AD021200
  • 2001 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
A couple of weeks ago I stopped for gas. When I got back in the truck it did not want to start. It cranks and cranks before it will start. I changed the fuel fileter and added some fuel injection cleaner to the tank. It still is not wanting to start. I put 16 more gallons of gas in and added another bottle of the fuel injection cleaner. I did not put Ethanol in the tank. Sometimes it starts right up. Other times it does not. After I drive for awhile and I stop, it takes a few cranks to get it to start back up. It died on me at a stop light the other day after I had been on the interstate for about an hour. This happened before I changed the fuel filter. Always before I just had to turn the key and it would start right up. It has plenty of power going down the road. What could be the problem?
Thursday, December 27th, 2018 AT 7:36 PM (Merged)
BLACKOP555
Sounds like it may be the fuel pump about ready to go out sounds like its getting weaker.
KENCC
  • 2001 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
2001 Chevy Silverado V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

I have a problem I hope someone can help me with. I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado, extended cab, with a 4.3liter V8. I have been the single owner of this truck and have had an intermittent problem with it starting during the winter. When the air temperature drops below exactly 32 degrees the truck will not start. Starter turns over and sounds good, but no matter what I do it will not start. I have tried everything but nothing I do will start it, and on most mornings the truck will have to sit out in the open until the air temperature rises above 32 degrees. It’s been to the dealer 4 or 5 times but they have never been able to resolve it, often it’s been a waste of time as the truck has to be running to bring it to them and they always leave it in the shop overnight, preventing it from getting cold enough for the problem to reoccur. This winter has been colder than normal and it has been a constant and almost daily problem. As a second problem, and I don’t know if this is related, the fuel gauge often fails to report the correct fuel level. Top the tank off and it shows empty until the level drops below ¾. Then it will also show empty when you stop at a traffic light, and remain there until you start moving again. I would bet it’s just a problem with the fuel tank float but wanted to bring it up because of the failure to start issue.
Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/306020_P0000660_1.jpg

Hi:
You are most likely right with the fuel gauge, but it's part of the pump which makes me wonder if you have corrosion where the pump plugs together or it has a loose connection. What I would suggest, and you may not like this, but when it doesn't start because of the cold, check two things. First check to see if the engine is getting spark. Also, check the fuel pump pressure. Taking a guess, I bet you have no fuel pressure which of course causes the truck not to start. The connection could even have moisture in it and when it freezes (32 degrees) water expands and may be causing the problem.

Try what I said with the spark and fuel pressure. One will be missing, and then we can go from there. If you need directions as to how these things are done, let me know.

KENCC
Thanks for your reply. Just to keep things in prospective, let me recount the past 48 hours. On Wednesday night at about 11:00 pm, the outside air temperature had dropped to about 34 degrees after only reaching a high of 36 degrees. I tried to start the truck at that time and it hesitated/required about 10 or 15 cranks (defined as turning the key until the starter kicks in, one or two cylinders fire, I let go of the key, and the engine fails to catch.) Before it started. This problem again occurred this morning, when the outside air temperature was about 35 degrees. It took about 8 to 10 tries, before the engine caught. Pumping doesn’t help, nor does holding down the gas pedal while I crank. Two hours later, the engine started on the first try and has continued to start without fail all day as the air temperature has remained at or above 54 degrees. The funny part is that when it’s warm enough I don’t even have to be in my truck to start it. I can just reach in the window, turn the key and it fires right up. In the past I have tried to keep the engine warm during the night by starting it every few hours but it made no difference. I even tried putting a 60 watt light on the ground under the engine and a tarp over the truck but with no luck. Like you I tend to think it is a gas issue with water and not a spark issue with water. Hope this info can help! Ken
I agree with you. It does sound more like a fuel problem. Check the fuel pressure when it's cold. Let me know what you find.

KENCC
Without having to go to a mechanic, and taking into account that I am somewhat mechanically proficient, what would be the best way to check the fuel flow in the cold?
Hi:
You can rent or borrow a fuel pressure gauge from most nationally recognized parts stores. It hooks up to the fuel rail.
STEVEN HOLLAND
  • 2001 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
This morning I brought my son to school, truck ran fine, stopped at the store on the way home and when I came back out it would not start. Plenty of battery power, no click nothing! I am assuming neutral safety switch but somebody told me to check the fuse first. Which fuse is it that I check? And where is it located?
STEVE W.
Try running the shift lever through the gears while holding the key on. Sometimes you can get the switch to work enough to get it started. Could also be a bad connection at the starter. Fuse 1 will be under the hood in the box and labeled Start the other one will be in the interior fuse box and labeled start/ign.
STEVEN HOLLAND
I will try that now! Thank you so much for the reply
KEN
Please let us know what you find so it will help others.

Best, Ken
ALAN12
  • 2001 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
It will turn over but will not start
TY ANDERSON
Make sure your getting spark to the spark plugs and fuel pressure
You'll need to use a fuel pressure guage tool to check for fuel pressure.
If you need more info on this please ask as I don't know you experiance level?
Is there a check engine light on or service engine soon?
+1
ALAN12
Yes the engine light is on and I have fire from the spark plugs
-1
TY ANDERSON
Have the vehicle scanned for diagnostic codes. Most auto parts retailers will do this for free. Give the code(s) to me as that will probably tell me where to start and possibly why the engine won't start.