2001 Chevy Silverado Wont start

DOYLE48433
  • 2001 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I have a 2001 silverado v6 2wd, I quit driving it in 05 because the cats were clogged up. It would bog down when driving. So I cut both of them off and test drove it out back and It was fine, besides the obvious of being loud as hell. Anyway I parked it until now without repairing the exhaust. Now it will not start, I know the fuel pump is working and it has 60 lbs of pressure because I drained the gas out of the tank through the valve on the gas line just before it goes into the throttle body. I first drained all the nasty gas that was left in the tank, and kept going once I put the new gas in so I knew it was the good gas. I know its getting gas to the plugs because there wet and gassy when I pull them out to check. I'm getting spark, and there should not be a compression issue cause It was fine when I parked it. Ive tried unplugging the map sensor and trying to start it but it still wont start. What its doing is turning over with no problem, it will fire and sputter barely but not start. I know it does not have the back pressure the it should but it ran fine before I parked it. Ive pulled all the plugs and cleaned them with the same result. It will run for like 5 secs on ether but will stall. So I'm about to the point where I'M just going to start trying everything. I live in Michigan, and I know this is like the worst time of year to do this, but it about time ti fix it. Even though its like 5 degrees out. Any help that anyone can give will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
Sunday, January 18th, 2009 AT 9:57 PM

PEAR69
Ok. If the plugs are wet you are indeed getting gas. However you are not getting spark - or - you are not getting spark long enough to keep the engine running. Does your truck have a security light lit up on the dash when you first turn the key to the on position?
Sunday, January 18th, 2009 AT 11:17 PM
DOYLE48433
No the security light on the dash is not on when the key is turned to the on position. But today I did notice that one of the plug wires has a melted spot on it. So in the morning thats the first thing im replacing, all plug wires and go from there. I pulled the plugs out again and that one was still clean so obviously that one is not fireing.
Monday, January 19th, 2009 AT 7:42 PM
PEAR69
That's is a start. I suggest using A/C Delco wires. GM has designed these ignition systems to work with A/C Delco stuff. I know it sounds weird but it's true.
The shorting out of the plug wire also may have caused the ignition module to fail. Test it or have it tested. Autozone or a place like that will test it for free.
The reason I asked about the security light is -- there is a resistor either in your ignition switch or in a passlock module. When the battery gets very low or dies, this resistor can fail. When that happens the engine will start for a few seconds and then shut off. The security light usually comes on indicating a problem -- but not always.
Monday, January 19th, 2009 AT 8:01 PM