1998 Chevy Silverado Hard Start

JAYBOB33
  • 1998 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
5.7l vortec, after sitting for a day or more truck becomes very hard to start, then seems to be missing at low speeds for the first 10 miles or so. If driven daily it seems fine.I replaced FI spider assy, didn't help. Replaced fuel pump and problem went away for 2 months and now is back worse then ever. Had mechanic check for 2hrs and couldn't find anything wrong. Problem seems to come and go. What should I be looking at next?
Wednesday, October 13th, 2010 AT 2:46 PM

WRENCHTECH
You need to check the fuel pressure during the problem. This is a high pressure system that is very pressure sensitive. It needs to remain above 55PSI at all times.
Wednesday, October 13th, 2010 AT 3:10 PM
JAYBOB33
Fuel pressure is OK. Today very wet and humid. Truck started fine but ran the worst it ever has. Engine miss up to about 40mph then runs fine. Idles smooth. No codes showing. If I rule out a fuel problem what would be the next thing to check?
Thanks.
+1
Sunday, December 12th, 2010 AT 6:58 PM
WRENCHTECH
Have you tested the fuel pressure during the period that it wouldn't start?
What was the pressure reading?
Sunday, December 12th, 2010 AT 7:01 PM
JAYBOB33
Key on 62 for 2 seconds the drop to 58.
Sunday, December 12th, 2010 AT 7:05 PM
WRENCHTECH
If the problem seems to kick up in wet weather, that leans toward something in the secondary ignition system. That includes the plugs, wires, dist cap, rotor and coil. A crack in the coil or cap can act like that. You can get a spray bottle of water and lightly mist the components when the engine is running and preferably in the dark and look for a reaction.
Sunday, December 12th, 2010 AT 7:12 PM
JAYBOB33
I kept the old cap and wires last time I changed them. I'll swap them and see if it makes a difference.
Sunday, December 12th, 2010 AT 7:22 PM
JAYBOB33
Well now the truck won't start at all. Cranks and sounds like it wants to. Pulled a plug, good spark. Fuel pressure good at the rail. What ever it is it has been progressively getting worse now to the point of not running at all. Ideas?
Thanks.
+1
Monday, December 27th, 2010 AT 12:30 AM
WRENCHTECH
Closing out question
+1
Monday, March 28th, 2011 AT 6:55 PM