Hard to start

MIKETAY
  • 1998 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
My truck is the K1500 model. It is hard to start especially after setting a few days. Sometimes it grinds until the battery goes down. It seems to sometime flood and some times starve for fuel. If it starts it runs fine and usually the rest of the day. I had a mechanic tell me he had the same exact problem and thought it was the fuel regulator sticking or the injectors. He changed both on his truck and it solved the problem. My question is, Is there a way I can determine if it is the injectors without unnecessarily spending the $350.00 to and replace the injectors? Is there a way to test the injectors or the fuel pressure regulator which bye the way are both under the intake?
Friday, June 16th, 2017 AT 3:11 PM

KEN

Yes you can remove the top of the intake at which time you will be able to look for raw fuel at the pressure regulator. This is a very common problem with these trucks btw.

Here is a general guide that can help as well.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-cranks-excessively-before-starting

Please let us know what happens, we are interested to see what it is.

Cheers, Ken
Monday, June 19th, 2017 AT 10:36 AM
MIKETAY
OK great, I think you mean the raw fuel will be in the cavity around the regulator and injectors if the injectors are bad. OK it maybe a few weeks before I tackle it. My work schedule want allow now, luckily I have a second truck to drive, But I will up date the post and let you know how it turns out. Thanks Ken
Tuesday, June 20th, 2017 AT 7:10 PM
KEN
Okay, please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken
Wednesday, June 21st, 2017 AT 11:18 AM
MIKETAY
Well, finally got time to tear the 98 down. Sorry it took so long, got my son's ride up to date and off to college with him, had a accident while mowing and broke my foot, and all the other time consuming things that life throws at you. I removed the intake and found fuel puddled around injectors on cylinders 6 and 8. The truck had gotten even harder to start and when it was running I could smell fuel. I changed the injector unit with a new fuel regulator. I went from the factory spider to a MFI unit. Truck started and ran like a champ. I turned off and several times if fired up great. The next day when I came home it didn't want to start and the battery ran down. The starter had become very noisy and started spinning and disengaged. My fear was the flywheel had damaged teeth from the kickbacks that had happened during this process. I removed the starter to check the flywheel. The teeth were warn but still there. The bolt hole that the starter mounts to, had split and the outside piece of the ear was broken off The starter can swing to the side and disengage the flywheel. So bottom line it seemed to be fixed the day I finished, but I do not know for sure. Now, how in the world do I fix the starter mount problem! The piece is broken off and I have it. There are two holes on the good side and the one that is broken but the starter only uses two. I uploaded a pic so you could see. Thanks for any help.
Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017 AT 7:32 PM
KEN
Welp, that's a bummer. The block is no good at this point. Call around and see if you can find someone that can weld cast iron would be the only way I can think of. If not its new engine time.

Sorry about that. Glad you got it running though, hope your foot feels better, looks like its another curve ball.

Cheers, Ken
Thursday, August 24th, 2017 AT 10:25 AM