1996 Chevy Silverado Truck exploded when I tried to start I

DCARILLO49
  • 1996 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I have a 96 Chevy 1500 with 120k on it. I bought it used with about 115k. I only use it on the weekends. It is parked at my work and I take it home on the weekends. A few weeks ago I decide to take it home for the weekend and I turn the key to start it and all I hear is a load boom and white smoke just pours out of the right side of my hood and it doesnt start. I waited a few minutes for the smoke to clear and opened the hood. I didnt see anything out of the norm. I did some searching on the internet and found exploding batteries so I put a brand new battery in it but still wont start. It tries to start but wont so I think the starter is still ok. This past weekend I tried to get a closer look to see if I could see any burnt wiring and the only thing I discovered was old spark plugs and the the wires are a littly rusty. Also on spark plug did have some oil on the white part. Not sure what that means but didnt think it could be a good thing. Do you think that maybe I should try changing all plugs, wires and distributer cap? If these are bad would it cause the truck not to start and or cause that explosion? Any help would be much appreciated.
Monday, February 18th, 2008 AT 10:22 AM

DENNYP
It could cause the no start, but the battery can cause the explosion. I have had many batteries explode due to acid leaking from them, or poor battery cable connections. The poor connection causes a spark and ignites the flamable gasses inside the battery.
Monday, February 18th, 2008 AT 8:34 PM

Sponsored links