The starter will engage but the flywheel will not turn in a 96 Chevy C1500

ADAVILARSP
  • 1996 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

When going to start the truck it would only engage the starter but the flywheel will not turn and the truck will not start. Had the starter checked re installed it and it is still doing the same thing. Replaced the starter completely and it is still doing the same thing. Tried replacing the ignition fuse its still the same. The battery works the engine just will not start.

Saturday, March 24th, 2012 AT 1:34 AM

AAP34798

You need to turn the engine manually with a socket if it doesn't then it may be siezed. Also if the flywheel/flexplate has a ring gear that have teeth that were broken where the stater is engaging it, then the starter won't have anything to turn.

+1
Saturday, March 24th, 2012 AT 3:48 AM
FIXITMR

If the starter just clicks loudly and lights dim then engine is froze. If starter spins but makes no noises then it's not engaging flywheel.

-1
Saturday, March 24th, 2012 AT 3:52 AM
BRIAN 87

Ok I'm having the same problem. I have a 94 silverado 2500 4x4 350ci with 185,000 miles. Haven't had it long but when I bought it the starter sounded like it was dragging so I thought no big deal I will change it in a couple weeks since I only drive 100 miles a week back an forth to work. Well went to the store shut it off for 10 min and went to start it back up. Turned over 3 times then clicked once and quit. So initially thought well starter went out. So I got a rebuilt one that was on my father in laws wrecked truck which was working fine before it got wrecked. I got nothing no click nothing. So we pulled it to his house and tested his and mine by hooking them up to car battery with jumper cables and well both worked great. So first thought no power to starter. Found the ground wire to starter(little red wire) was really close to the manifold and looked burned some. We spliced it with same gage wire. Hooked back up but did not install the starter just let it hang and bumped the key. Starter operated as should so I put it back together and tried it. The starter engaged but and tried to turn a tiny bit but did not turn motor over nor did it retract. So we thought its in a bind. We tried to adjust it an tighten bolts every which way. Still just a click so we shimmed it. Still one click. We tried both starters this way and still one click. Starter engages like it should but acts like in a bind. So we checked the fly wheel and turned it witn screw driver and turned like it should. Even put a breaker bar on altinator pulley and turned motor over just fine like it should. So motor not seized. Check oil and coolant and took plugs out and all was normal. Oil only has 100 miles on it. Checked fuses and checked wire harness and come up with nothing different. Checked grounds as well. Now someone before me bolted the ground from fire wall an back of block together then to frame it does look rusty and rough. But no matter what we have done nothing changes starter still engages to the fly wheel but wont turn motor over. Very frustrated and just give up tonight on it. Please help what could it possibly be. Its like either its not getting enough juice once it tries to turn over motor or ground I don't know just need help before I push it off in the river.

+2
Monday, May 29th, 2017 AT 8:29 PM
2CARPROS KEN

I only use AC Delco starter motor becasue almost everything else I have tried has failed. Here is a guide on how to test and replace the starter motor. Never use sims on a GM starter.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-starter-motor

Here is a good test as well.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-battery-load-test

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers, Ken

Wednesday, November 8th, 2017 AT 2:53 PM