1994 Chevy Silverado Elecrical problems possibly causing en

HEATHERRENEE2005
  • 1994 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
When transporting this truck across country, I needed to have wiring installed for a u-haul trailer. This is when the problems began. First it was the fuse that controlled the radio, then the a/c then the radio again, then the a/c again. Replaced fuses over and over and finally no more blown fuses. Now when you open the door, there are no interior lights or ding sounds (checked bulbs, replaced all fuses twice, all green per tester). The cold a/c also shuts off when I put it on HI. The gauge for the temperature is also broken. It barely moves at all no matter the driving conditions. I think the thermostat is working, but the gauge isn't. How do I fix this?
Wednesday, November 5th, 2008 AT 8:41 PM

RACEFAN966
If this all started right after you had the trailer wiring installed then I would start with checking into that wiring (do not go back to the same place ok). Some mechanics seem to think that they need to cut and splice to wire for a trailer and with your truck this is not true. You go to a local parts store and buy a plug in simple wiring adapter harness and just plug in connect the grould (white wire) and thats it done. So look at what was done and if it was a cut and splice install then have it fixed and done right first.
Thursday, November 6th, 2008 AT 10:38 AM
HEATHERRENEE2005
I checked the wiring, it was all clamped up and the black wire was stripped and exposed. How is correcting that wiring going to fix the whole short?
Thursday, November 6th, 2008 AT 11:09 AM
RACEFAN966
If it was touching other stuff then it might don't know for sure as I dont have the vehicle in my hands. Did they do a splice and cut on the install of the trailer connector or did they but in a plug in simple set up? like this one. This is the one that should fit your truck with out cutting anything.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_224421_1.jpg

Hope this helps
Friday, November 7th, 2008 AT 10:01 AM
HEATHERRENEE2005
It seems the wires were cut and clipped to an adapter. Poorly I might add. I'll send a picture as soon as I take one
Friday, November 7th, 2008 AT 10:53 AM
RACEFAN966
Ok great and what you might want to consider is removing there mess and buying the plug in simple one just like the one I sent a pic of and redo it right then you will have peace of mind that is right. When I say it is plug in simple I mean you unplug the tail light harnes plug this in the middle and put the ground or white wire to good spot on the frame or bumper area and thats it.
Saturday, November 8th, 2008 AT 8:44 AM
HEATHERRENEE2005
Will this fix the short?
Saturday, November 8th, 2008 AT 11:55 AM
RACEFAN966
Unfortunatly you won't know till you do it. If the problem started right after the instulation of it then you would think it should.
Wednesday, November 12th, 2008 AT 5:32 PM
HEATHERRENEE2005
Thank you for all your help
Wednesday, November 12th, 2008 AT 7:01 PM
RACEFAN966
You are welcome and let me know how it turns out if we need to go deeper then I will see what I can do ok. Thanks for your support too.
Thursday, November 13th, 2008 AT 1:47 PM