2005 Chevy Silverado Fog Lights and Interior lights

CODYBULLARD
  • 2005 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I just bought this truck and the interior lights on a couple of different things when I bought it didnt work. I drive down a lot of bad dirt roads for my job and now the lights that didnt work before (button lights on my steering wheel) do and the 4x4 lights dont. Also this morning one of my fog lights was coming on and off. How can I fix the wiring so this doesnt happen?
Thursday, March 5th, 2009 AT 8:02 AM

RACEFAN966
Ok is sounds like you may have a body control module issure. The body control module controls interior and exterior lighting and more. If you have a digital multi meter and would like to do a couple of tests we can determine that. Get back to me.
Thursday, March 5th, 2009 AT 10:39 AM
CODYBULLARD
I really appreciate your help but I dont have a digital multi meter, I went to auto zone to get them to use theirs and it was the $40 junk edition (I guess thats why they do it for free) and they said the one that I need is about $1500 and thats just not even gonna come close to affordable for me, so what can I do.
Tuesday, March 10th, 2009 AT 9:57 AM
RACEFAN966
All you need is a 20 dollar or so digital multi meter. Here is a pic of what you can get so we can do some voltage and ohm's testing ok. Kinda like this one will work just fine. They are trying to sell you a scanner instead.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_c13632e4c5dbb05c_1.jpg

Tuesday, March 10th, 2009 AT 10:07 AM
CODYBULLARD
Thats alot cheaper I think I can handle that. Can I get one of these at auto zone or some place like that?
Tuesday, March 10th, 2009 AT 10:10 AM
RACEFAN966
Yes you can get them at a parts store or home depot or a hardware store. Just make sure it is digital and that it has volts and ohm's and will work on a 12 volt system. Now most meters will not have a 12 volt setting it will be a 20 volt setting. This one has all the setting that we need and more for only about 21 dollars and tax. I hope you can blow it up some and see what I mean. I am not saying you don't understand what I mean I just know that sometimes a pic can clear it all up.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_14572_1.jpg

Tuesday, March 10th, 2009 AT 10:30 AM
CODYBULLARD
Ok I got a Fluke multi-meter that my electrician buddy gave me and he said that it would work.
Friday, March 13th, 2009 AT 6:58 AM
RACEFAN966
Ok first thing is you need to get access to the lower part of the steering column. On the left side of the column is the body control module. I will include a pic number 3 is the module and 4 is the harness to the module ok. So first I need you to see that the 3 orange wires to the module all have power and they should be hot at all times so the key doesn't need to be on for this. Just to let you know this module controls everything other then the engine electrical. I mean it runs the interior lights it runs the anti theft and door locks, sound system, wipers and washer and A/C and etc. Now get back to me with what you find and we will go from there.
Friday, March 13th, 2009 AT 11:07 AM