Dome light/courtesy lights

NORMK
  • 1995 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Dome light does not always turn off when door is closed or engine is started. I do not know if this truck has delay on the interior lighting. I am considering re-wiring the whole interior lighting circuitry with a relay and my own wiring to fix this. Is this a problem with the "convenience center" found in the manual or something else? Thanks!
Sunday, June 27th, 2010 AT 3:49 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6

It sounds like the pin switch on the drivers side is bad. Can you remove it to see if the problem continues? Here is the wiring diagrams so you can see how the system works.

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what happens.
Sunday, June 27th, 2010 AT 4:59 PM
NORMK
I should have been a bit more precise. The courtesy/dome light almost NEVER turns off when you close the doors. The dome light override switch has no effect and the door switches check good. I have to leave the #3 fuse out all the time. A few times the light would go off and then, sometime in the middle of the night, they would just come on. That is why I pulled the fuse.
I was having issues with the AC flap controls, which I corrected, and decided to tackle the dome light issue while I was working on the AC venting flaps.
Thanks for the advise.
Norm
Sunday, June 27th, 2010 AT 5:44 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
If door ajar switches tested good then the dome switch itself on instrument panel may be bad, or it could possibly be the wiring but that is the hardest to check out and replace so its best to test the switch first
Sunday, June 27th, 2010 AT 10:31 PM
GREGTHOS
Thank you for this post I had this problem and had to replace the pin switch. Cost me $12.00 I love this site.
Monday, January 7th, 2019 AT 1:10 PM
PAUL F
  • CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I have a 1994 1500 series 4x4 v8 Chev Silverado with approx. 150000 miles on it.
The problem is, just recently the interior(dome& two floor) lights came on by themselves while I was driving. Since then, they wont shut off. The only way I can shut them off is by removing the courtsey fuse from the fuse box.
I've replaced the two door jam switches but, still have the same problem.
The interior lights will flicker from time to time and sometimes shut off briefly while driving but, stay on for the most part. My aftermarket radio/cd player runs off the same fuse as the lights but works fine even though the lights flicker or shut off briefly. I've had the radio/cd player in the truck for 5 years so, I don't think that's the problem.
The interior light dimmer switch seems to be working correctly. It allows me to either turn off the dash lights completely or put them to their brightest.
All other electrical works fine and I haven't had any electrical problems up until this time.
Any tips on how to possibly solve this problem would be appreciated.
Paul
Monday, January 7th, 2019 AT 1:10 PM (Merged)
FISHERMAN
Hello !
Well. Looks like you have a "grounded" wire somewhere on the door jam switch wiring.

Follow the wires until you find the "bare" wire touching the frame.
(with a light tester you will find that the wire its grounded)
usually the wires get rub at the hinges pull the wires one by one until the light turn off.

Good Luck!
+1
PAUL F
I looked all around and could not see any bare wires, I think I will try a new pin switch.
Monday, January 7th, 2019 AT 1:11 PM (Merged)
FISHERMAN
Hey Paul.

Sound good.
We will be here waiting for the results.

Good Luck!
PAUL F
Hello Fisherman
I tried the test light today on the wires that the door jam switches plug into and the result was, it appears that there is no power/current going through these wires.
The test light did not light up.
Thinking that maybe something was wrong with the test light, I tried it on the truck battery and it did light up.
When I was doing the test on the wires that the door jam switch plugs into, the fuse was in and the interior lights were on.
Do you have any other suggestions based on this information?
I'm also curious about a couple of things in your initial reply to my question.
PAUL F
The picture didn't upload for whatever reason.
Hopefully it does this time!

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/29658_Interior_2.jpg

FISHERMAN
Hello Paul!!

sorry i didn t told you the way you should test for a grounded wire..
well you have to atach the clip on a hot (+) source and with the other side check the wire that we suspect its grounded...

the courtesy lights are feed with (+) on one side all the time and as soon as you open the door the jam switch "get ground" and turn "on" the light....

the hinge i was talkin about didn t apply for your vehicle because the switch its on the frame not in the door, ( I m sorry for that )

anyhow I m including an schematic on the courtesy lights for your truck the server reduce the size on the picture but if you give me your e-mail i will send you the original size..

now we have to find the problem wire...

which its not as hard as it looks...

check this out and let me know to continue!

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/576_Silverado_1994_1.jpg

+1
KWR
  • CHEVROLET SILVERADOCHEVROLET SILVERADO
I have a 1995 Chevy K1500 with a 350. My interior lights do not come on when a door is open. If I turn the dimmer dial then I can manually turn on my dome and floor lights. My truck does have a "Dome light off" button, I have made sure that this is not engaged. Any suggestions.
BOOTDOG
There should be a small push in door switch close to the hinges, so when you open up the door the switch comes out. Make sure the switch isn't stuck inward.
FISHERMAN
Hey Paul !

Something else:

the suspect wire its the white wire (the black-one its ground (-) )

also. Did you checked the courtesy switch already?

Let me know!

Piece of cake!

(yeah sure I m typing and you re working! LOL)

good Luck!
PAUL F
Hello Again Fisherman
If I understand correctly your instructions on how to check for a grounded wire, this is what I did and these are the results.
Using vicegrips, I attached one end of a wire to the positive post of my truck battery and then, using the clip end of the test light, I attached that to the other end of the wire.
Then using the probe end of the test light, I tested each "terminal" end of the wires that the door jam switches plug into. For the driver side, the test light lit up when the probe touched the terminal for the white wire and lit up as well for the black wire. It did not light up when it touched the brown wire terminal. I assume the brown wire is the default ground wire? On the passenger side, there are only two wires, white and black, and the test light lit up testing both of those terminals.
I then took out the fuse for the interior lights, did the same test steps and got the same results as when the fuse was in. So, do these results indicate anything to you?
To me, it just indicates that when contact with the terminals was made, it showed the charge coming from the truck battery. I don't know if that's the case or not though.
As far as the dome/courtesy switch goes, no, I haven't checked that yet. At this point I don't want to buy something that may not be the cause of the problem and not be able to return it if it isn't.
I appreciate the schematic of the wiring you sent and i'll take you up on your offer of e-mailing me the full size version.
I'll send you my e-mail address via the private message option.
Thanks for the help so far.
Paul
-2
BILL BUTTLE JR
I have the same problem, what if that doesn't work?
KEN
That will work, here is the wring diagram for you so you can get the problem fixed.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

Please run this test and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Best, Ken

JIM91303
  • 1994 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
1994 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

1994 chevy 3500 HD

my interior lights and parking do not work.

Head lights and turn signals and brake lights do work, and all the guages work. The cig lighter works as does the heater and after market radio. I removed the factory amp and radio and used a wire adapter kit to install a am/fm/cd player. I do not remember if the lights worked before the radio swap or not. I replaced the switches 3 times and the fuses are all good
Did you use a testlite on the park lamps fuse. You shouldn't need to pull the fuse. There should be a bare spot over each leg. If voltage on each leg, the fuse is good and there is voltage. Even if the fuse is good, no voltage and the circuit is dead. Did you check for voltage and ground at tail lamp socket?

The brown wire from headlamp switch is voltage for tail lamps.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170934_park_lamp_fuse_1.jpg

DIVER88
  • 1996 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
When the temperature drops below 35 degrees or so my dome/courtesy lights come on automatically. This usually happens in the middle of the night and the draw triggers my alarm to go off. If you push the "dome override" button it will turn them off and when the temp warms above 40 degrees or so you can deactivate the dome override and the courtesy lights will not be on but as soon as the temp drops, they come back on and you have to "override" them. I suspected the headlight switch because I've heard it click and the dome lights go off when it warms and also the deactivation on the switch turns them off. The original switch got to where the interior lights wouldn't even come on anymore so I replaced the switch. Dome lights worked intermittently so I returned that switch and the new one worked fine (as normal) for a few days then it started the coming on in the middle of the night. As did the next one. This brand was aftermarket and inexpensive compared to the AC-Delco replacement, I've ordered one of those and it's on it's way. Could there be a courtesy light relay that is bad and it's causing these headlight switches to "burn out" or go bad, just cheap replacement parts so far, or another problem? For 10 years my Daytime Running Lamps have not stepped down or stepped up like they did when they were new, the DRL's are the same brightness as the regular headlights, and I think originally they stepped down to 60% on DRL's. Any of this related, two problems? Thanks.