1991 Chevy S-10 Can't depress clutch pedal

91S10
  • 1991 CHEVROLET S-10
I had the problem where the truck would creep along even though the clutch was in. It got to the point where I has to start it in gear, otherwise I could not engage a gear. The problem got better as it warmed up.
I replaced the clutch master cylinder, checked out the slave cylinder, reassembled and bled the system down. (I.E. Complete hydraulic system was disassembled)
Now, I can only dpress the clutch a fraction of an inch, and just won't go further. With the slave bleed screw open, I can depress the clutch all the way.
Could this be a problem with the fork? Can I check this? Do I have to remove the transmission etc to do this?
Saturday, May 10th, 2008 AT 7:28 PM

MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

Thank you for the donation.

If you can depress the clutch all the way with the bleeder open, then the master is ok, but the slave may still be seized. I would first remove the slave and make sure it is operational. If this is the case, then the problem will be with in the clutch it self, there will be not much you can do than remove the box and inspect it for a fault. I would be checking the slave first.

Sunday, May 11th, 2008 AT 2:35 AM
91S10
You make a good point about the slave. However I completely disassembled this, and I am sure it is not seized. I just wondered if there was a way (trick?) To test the clutch operation without the hydraulics.

One more thing reading my origianl post, I should have said that the original problem (difficulty engaging gear, creep etc) would be less as the engine warmed up. My theory was there was air in the hydraulic line, which would expand as it got warmer and thus provide a better action of the clutch.

When you say "remove the box" you mean the gearbox right?

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers
Wednesday, May 14th, 2008 AT 2:31 PM
MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

There is no easy way to "override" the hydraulics. If the slave is OK, and you have good hydraulic pressure the problem will be with the mechanical section of the clutch. The gear box will have to be removed and the clutch inspected. Pay particular attention to the clutch fork, pivot, & thrust carrier on the nose of the gear box. As this slides and may be binding up.

Wednesday, May 14th, 2008 AT 5:12 PM