Anti theft system?

JROLEMAN
  • 2004 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
The anti theft system on my cavalier at odd times wont let my car start then for no apparent reason it will start, only warning is dash warning light for it comes on when trying to start the vehicle and stays on during cranking, anyway this system can be reset?
Wednesday, September 8th, 2010 AT 11:31 AM

KEN
Hey JROLEMAN,

This system cannot be bypassed. The #1 reason for a security problem is the drivers door latch. What happens is the switch inside wears out causing the alarm to think the car is being stolen. Replace it with a new one and the problem should be fixed.

Here are some guides on how to check it.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-reset-a-security-system

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-wiring

Also there are two small wires up by the ignition switch that break causing the alarm not to reset.

Please let me know what happens so it will help others.

Best, Ken
+7
Wednesday, January 18th, 2017 AT 12:12 AM
ALYDASILVA
  • 2004 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
2004 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Automatic

I recently bought a 2004 Cavalier. The theft system had acted up on it when I picked the car up from the dealer but they turned it off and said it would be fine. A couple days after I got stuck at work because the theft system would not shut off. Eventually I got it started. Through out the week after the theft light along with the service engine light would pop on while I was driving the car down the road. But the car had no problem starting up. And now once again the theft system will not shut off so I cant start the car. There is a theft system in the car itself, and there is also a theft system with the remote car starter. What could be going wrong?
Monday, August 24th, 2020 AT 11:18 AM (Merged)
MMPRINCE4000
The dealer should not have disabled the theft system. If car was stolen due to a disabled theft system, the dealer would be responsible. I doubt insurance would pay if the security system was intentionally disabled.

Take it back to dealer and have them repair it.

There is a procedure for reseting the system:

Turn key on
security light flashing
try to start and let go leave key on
security light flasher for about 10 min
when it stops
turn key off and start car
key needed to be reprogrammed
happy driving after that
in some rare cases you may have to do that 3 times total of 30 min.

However if an aftermarket remote start, then that could also be the problem.
+1
QTBABYBLUE707
  • 2004 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
My anti theft needs to be reset. I can't start my car. How do you reset it? I think it came on because I backed into a pole. I'm not sure why it's on, but since then it wouldn't start and the light is on.
DOCFIXIT
TRy this turn key to start let go then turn to ACC position THEFT light should be on and start to flash. it takes 10 mins. light will stop go off then start car.

This guides show how

+12
MOMTO41960
  • 2004 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
  • AWD
My cd player has been broken. My daughter and her friend had the car and wanted to see if they could try to fix it. Plug it in so they tried to take it out. Then after that all of my lights came on. Anti theft. I can start it but then it dies out. I wonder if maybe the system thought it was being stolen? If it should be reset? Can I take the battery cable off and reattach it? Is there a way to reset it? If they hadn't messed with the battery I would think it was something else like a starter, alternator etc. What do you suggest. I am very poor and don't have neans
Try resetting anti theft. If it doesn't turn off the drivers side door latch needs to be replaced in most cases.
+3
MOMTO41960
Thank you. I did this and it did start and I let it run for about twenty five mins and then turned it off. It started doing the same thing again. It appears that the anti theft is off now but it won't stay started. We used electrical tape to wires that were open in the stereo and left the face off. Its frustrating. Sounds like the fuel filter but not sure because of the radio situation.
+6
If you reset it then have a po scan for an antitheft problem it can be a module going bad for the anti theft.
-1
MOMTO41960
It worked. The light went off. I did it myself with your help. Our friend is a mechanic, installed many radios and he knew how to hook up the stereo properly. It started and stayed started. I'm now back on the road. Thank you so much. I could not have done that part without you. I'm proud of myself for this. But all that was needed after that was to fix what caused the anti theft to react in the first place ! Thank you again. God bless. You are awesome !?
+2
SLFLEMMING
  • CHEVROLET CAVALIER
Hi,
I have a 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier, 47,000km with a 2.2 engine.
My problem is concerning the anti theft system.
I use my remote to lock and unlock the car. Through the night my alarm started sounding and the lights flashing for no apparent reason. I unlocked the car with the remote, checked all the doors, started the engine and the locked it again.
About 20 minutes later it did the same thing and then again about 15 minutes later. As I needed to get some sleep. I then just locked it by the power door locks.
Any ideas whats going on here, or if there is anything I can try to resolve this myself.
KEN
This sounds like the drivers door latch needs to be replaced because the micro switch inside goes bad. But to be sure let try to reset the system first by following this guide.

Please run down this guide and report back.
AMANDA FUNK MARSHALL
  • 2002 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
My key switch locked up and I could not turn the car off nor could I get the key out of the switch. I got a new switch already in the lock cylinder and put in in. I did the anti theft process of leaving switch in run position until the anti-theft light stopped blinking, but my car still will not start. Key switch is turning on to start, but engine is making no effort to start? I need advise as to what to do now?
Monday, August 24th, 2020 AT 11:19 AM (Merged)
SATURNTECH9
Did you do the pass lock ten minute each key cycle until the light turns off then turn the key off for ten seconds then try to start it then wait ten minutes till the security light turns off? It has to been done three times in a row to learn the new pass lock sensor.
+2
AMANDA FUNK MARSHALL
No I do not think I did it three times in a row. I had left the switch on for like twenty minutes at a time until I ran the battery down. I hot wired my car to drive it home so the battery is fully charged now. How can I go about re-doing the three times in a row because my anti-theft light is no longer blinking? My boyfriend took a couple of fuses out of the panel also before we tried resetting the car and new switch. When I questioned this he became ill and said it had nothing to do with the car firing. One fuse is for the radio and inside lights, the other one says horn maybe. Should these be plugged back in? Also I was going to try in the morning taking the battery cable off to try and reset? If I do this should the key be turned on before I disconnect the battery?
+1
SATURNTECH9
So does the security light stay on solid or flash with the key in the run position? When the pass lock sensor is replaced you have to crank the engine release the key leave the key in the run position till the security light turns off Then turn the key off for ten seconds then repeat the cycle two more times. I would replace the fuses just to be sure I have no idea for sure what fuses were taken out. Disconnecting the battery will not relearn the pass lock sensor.
AMANDA FUNK MARSHALL
Okay I did this three times in a row and still the car wont start? The anti-theft light comes on briefly when I turn the key on but does not blink nor does it stay on solid. Its the only one that goes completely out for the 10 min sessions does it make a difference if some of the fuses are turned upside down? I just was putting the fuses he took out back and noticed some are turned wrong, like a 20 amp looks like 02 amp is this a problem?
+1
SATURNTECH9
The fuses work the same upside down or right side up. If the security light goes out I would think it's not the anti theft keeping it from starting. But don't know for sure does the engine crank and not start?
+1
AMANDA FUNK MARSHALL
The engine does not even crank when the switch is turned over
+2
SATURNTECH9
So you replaced the cylinder the key goes in and the switch also?
+1
Monday, August 24th, 2020 AT 11:20 AM (Merged)

Sponsored links