2004 Chevy Cavalier antitheft system wont let car start

JROLEMAN
  • 2004 CHEVROLET CAVALIER

2004 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 122000 miles

the antitheft system on my cavalier at odd times wont let my car start then for no apparent reason it will start, only warning is dash warning light for it comes on when trying to start the vehicle and stays on during cranking, anyway this system can be bypassed.

Wednesday, September 8th, 2010 AT 11:31 AM

2CARPROS KEN

Hey JROLEMAN,

I would try to disconnect the battery for 20 minutes to reboot the system. You might have a bad BCM which will reboot the system.

Please let me know what happens so it will help others.

Best, Ken

Wednesday, January 18th, 2017 AT 12:12 AM
MOMTO41960
  • 2004 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
  • AWD
  • MERGED

My cd player has been broken. My daughter and her friend had the car and wanted to see if they could try to fix it. Plug it in so they tried to take it out. Then after that all of my lights came on. Anti theft. I can start it but then it dies out. I wonder if maybe the system thought it was being stolen? If it should be reset? Can I take the battery cable off and reattach it? Is there a way to reset it? If they hadn't messed with the battery I would think it was something else like a starter, alternator etc. What do you suggest. I am very poor and don't have neans

Wednesday, January 18th, 2017 AT 12:13 AM
  • MERGED

Try resetting anti theft

MOMTO41960
  • MERGED

Thank you. I did this and it did start and I let it run for about twenty five mins and then turned it off. It started doing the same thing again. It appears that the anti theft is off now but it won't stay started. We used electrical tape to wires that were open in the stereo and left the face off. Its frustrating. Sounds like the fuel filter but not sure because of the radio situation.

• MERGED

If you reset it then have a po scan for an antitheft problem it can be a module going bad for the anti theft.

MOMTO41960
  • MERGED

It worked. The light went off. I did it myself with your help. Our friend is a mechanic, installed many radios and he knew how to hook up the stereo properly. It started and stayed started. I'm now back on the road. Thank you so much. I could not have done that part without you. I'm proud of myself for this. But all that was needed after that was to fix what caused the anti theft to react in the first place ! Thank you again. God bless. You are awesome !?

QTBABYBLUE707
  • 2004 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
  • MERGED

My anti theft needs to be reset. I can't start my car. How do you reset it? I think it came on because I backed into a pole. I'm not sure why it's on, but since then it wouldn't start and the light is on.

DOCFIXIT
  • MERGED

TRy this turn key to start let go then turn to ACC position THEFT light should be on and start to flash. It takes 10 mins. Light will stop go off then start car

+2