2002 Chevy Cavalier theft system, service light, ignition swi

DEAN2MERCER
  • 2002 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
My theft system and service lights come on every other time I start the car. My ignition switch is hard to work sometimes and I suspect this is causing the problem. How do you replace the ignition switch? Thank you in addvance dean
Saturday, September 4th, 2010 AT 8:28 AM

WRENCHTECH
This article has been updated with bulletin, 01-02-35-010

Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement -On Vehicle (With Key)

Removal Procedure

Caution: Refer to Battery Disconnect Caution in Service Precautions.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

Caution: Refer to SIR Caution in Service Precautions.

2. Disable the Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system.
3. Remove the steering column trim covers.

4. Turn the ignition lock cylinder (1) to the RUN position.

5. Push the locking button (2) on the rear of the housing assembly (1).
6. Remove the ignition lock cylinder by pulling outward from the steering column.

7. Disconnect the electrical connector (3) from the ignition lock cylinder (1).

Installation Procedure

1. Connect the electrical connector (3) to the ignition lock cylinder (1).

2. Insert the ignition lock cylinder into the housing assembly (1) while rotating the key approximately 5 degrees counter - clockwise.
3. Install the steering column trim covers.
4. Enable the SIR system.
5. Connect the negative battery cable.
6. Perform the Passlock Learn Procedure.

IMPORTANT: Due to component variability, the vehicle theft deterrent (VTD) system must have the learn procedure performed regardless, even if the vehicle starts on the first ignition cycle after a VTD repair. All codes in the theft deterrent module must be cleared for a relearn.

If you replace the ignition lock cylinder, the system will enter the long tamper mode. If the system enters the long tamper mode, ensure that the system completes a long tamper mode cycle. During the long tamper mode cycle, the THEFT indicator will flash for the full 10 minutes. The instrument cluster and the PCM require the full 10 minutes in order to complete the learn cycle. Ensure that the ignition switch remains in RUN until the indicator stops flashing. If you turn the ignition switch before the indicator stops flashing, ensure that you repeat the long tamper cycle from the beginning.
Saturday, September 4th, 2010 AT 8:36 AM