I have a great little blazer that is still my favorite to drive but it is runnig screwy and I need some hints.
1. Everyday I have to add water to the radiator always 16-32 ounces. I don't drive far 20 miles round trip.
2. When I stop at the lights the car shudders and feels like it misses.
3. It runs fine down the highway but in slow moving traffic it boggs down.
4. It over heated today Tuesday the 22, First time in over 16 months.
5. The thermostat is fine it was wide open when the mechanic to the assembly apart. It collapsed in mere seconds after being exposed to the cooler envionment.
6. I have 20w-50 synthetic with a Lucas additive just changed 4,000 miles ago. I used the Fram exra guard filter. Today when I checked the oil it was milky, looked like coffe with creamer in it. Very upsetting but not the end of the world. I will change the oil tomorrow, but how will this affect my lifters? What is my potential downfall here.
7. The mechanic shop said "I have a blown head gasket and it will be a three day job costing 1,500 dollars. Wow to my supprise I figured bad water pump something simple not a head gasket.
8. What kind of test can be run to diagnose the problem properly? I do not wish to just give money away to people. If there is a 100 dollar diagnostic test that can be run I would prefer that. Is there really a way to deterine if it is a head gasket or are you supposed to take the at their word. Economics being what they are now can you really take someones word when the overhead is so high and the revenue so low?
9. I hope this is not too much information but I figure the more you know the better the guess. Thank you for your time.
Tuesday, August 20th, 2019 AT 1:22 PM