AC not working

DJLEFONE
  • 2002 CADILLAC ESCALADE
I had my battery, alternator, belts (including fan belt) replaced at the same time. Now one of my AC controls is not working. Now the mode knob does not appear to be working. Air only blows out as if the mode know were placed on the defrost position, however is will not switch to any other position when turning the knob. I was told by the service repair place that because the climate control is electronic and the battery and alternator were replaced it could take upto 200 miles for the car to reset it setting and recognize the correct climate control settings. Does this sound correct to you? Do you know of a reset method to get the mode know to work correctly again and recognize the various settings, (vent, bi-level, floor, blend, etc.)?

Tks.
Wednesday, July 21st, 2010 AT 6:56 PM

FACTORYJACK
If I am correct, your mode is on a button, and knobs control the driver and passenger temp. It should not take that long for the system to update. It should take minutes. There is an actuator recalibration procedure.

2002 Cadillac Escalade | Avalanche, Escalade, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon (VIN C/K) Service Manual | HVAC | HVAC Systems - Automatic | Diagnostic Information and Procedures | Document ID: 774485

Actuator Recalibration
The HVAC control module will relearn the actuator limits whenever power is disconnected and re-connected to the module.

Use the following steps to perform the calibration update:

Turn OFF the ignition.
Remove the battery positive voltage circuit fuse of the HVAC Control Module.
Important: The scan tool must be disconnected from the vehicle to properly perform the calibration procedure. If a scan tool is connected before this procedure is completed, then new calibration values will not be stored.

Important: Failure to wait 60 seconds will not allow the HVAC control module sufficient time to clear the old calibration values.

Wait 60 seconds.
Install the fuse.
Turn ON the ignition.
Wait 60 seconds before installing a scan tool.

There is also a couple bulletins that may apply.

#04-01-39-007: Loss of HVAC System Mode and/or Temperature Control (Replace HVAC Control Module) - (Jun 17, 2004)

Subject: Loss Of HVAC System Mode and/or Temperature Control (Replace HVAC Control Module)

Models: 2002 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT

1999-2002 Chevrolet Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2002 Chevrolet Avalanche

1999-2002 GMC Denali, Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL

2001 GMC Sierra C3

2002 GMC Sierra Denali

with Automatic HVAC System (RPO C68)

Condition
Some customers may comment that they cannot control the HVAC system modes and/or the temperature. These concerns may be intermittent.

Cause
An HVAC control module logic lock-up may be the cause of these conditions.

Correction
Important: Prior to replacing the HVAC control head, review Corporate Bulletin Number 01-01-39-007 (SI Document ID #845221).

Replace the HVAC control module. Refer to the HVAC Control Module Replacement procedure in the HVAC System -- Automatic sub-section of the Service Manual.

Part Information
Part Number
Description

15126606

Condition

Cause
There may be poor terminal contact and/or bent terminals in connectors C206 (RPO C68 automatic HVAC controls) or C296 (RPO C60 manual HVAC controls). Excessive tension on the wires due to the wiring harness being misrouted in the instrument panel carrier may cause these conditions.

Correction
Remove the Air Bag fuse.
Disconnect the steering wheel and instrument panel (IP) air bag connectors. Refer to the SIR subsection of the Restraints section of the Service Manual for connector locations.
Remove the IP upper trim pad.
Locate connector C206 (6 cavities) or C296 (8 cavities). The connector is attached to a metal brace on the far right side of the IP carrier above the IP air distributor duct.
Inspect the routing of the wiring harness to the connector. The proper routing of the wiring harness is above the air distributor duct with no tension on the terminals in the connector. The routing is improper if the wiring harness is below the air distributor duct with excessive tension on the terminals in the connector. The excessive tension may cause poor terminal contact, resulting in open circuits, in the connector. The wires may also pull the terminals out of the connector or pull out of the terminal itself.
If the harness is routed properly, contact Technical Assistance for further information.
If the harness is misrouted, remove the connector from the brace.
Disconnect the connector.
Perform a pin drag test on the female terminals.
Inspect the male terminals for straightness.
Inspect the wire to terminal connection to insure that no wires have pulled out of the terminals.
Reroute the wiring harness above the air distributor duct.
Firmly reconnect and reseat the connector.
Reattach the connector to the metal brace.
Reinstall the IP upper trim pad.
Turn Off the ignition and reconnect the steering wheel and IP air bags.
Reinstall the Air Bag fuse.
Turn ON the ignition and verify that the air bag light flashes seven times and goes out.
Clear any diagnostic trouble codes that may have been set.
Verify proper operation of the HVAC system mode and temperature controls.
+1
Wednesday, July 21st, 2010 AT 10:42 PM
FJSEPULV
2005 escalade rear hvac calibration that works! - On the rear auxiliary heater and air conditioning control module (located under rear panel on passenger side - directly rearward of rear door on passenger side) remove the red and grey connectors, then turn key on. Insert red connector, then insert grey connector. System will start calibration mode. Leave key on (approx. 3 min). This is the only method that worked on my system
Sunday, October 21st, 2018 AT 11:47 AM
CADILLACMAN369
  • 2002 CADILLAC ESCALADE
  • AWD
The problem that I am having is that my A/C is not working! When I turn it on the air blows only through the defrost and the air compressor does not come on when I push the A/C button on the computer climate control and nor does it switch from vent in face or to vents on the floor. I bypassed the relay switch and the compressor came on I even bought a new computer climate control and the same thing is happening I tried re-calibrating the system and still nothing when I had bypassed the relay switch I was able to charge it up it blew cold air only from the vents in the roof of the truck rear air I guess the fan blows hard it is just only coming out through the defrost. Can anyone help? Thanks
Tuesday, October 23rd, 2018 AT 12:14 PM (Merged)
KEN

It sounds like you have a blend door actuator that has gone out, here is a guide to help you get the problem fixed.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-blend-door-motor

It shows which blend door it for vent mode.

Please let us know what happens.

Best, Ken

BARVAN
  • 2002 CADILLAC ESCALADE
  • AWD
Good morning Gentlemen. I have a 2002 Cadillac Escalade. My ac is blowing cold air in the front and hot air in the rear. When I took it to the dealer for a diagnostic they said my ac compressor is bad. I change the ac compressor, accumulator, orifice tube and the condensor. It is still blowing hot air in the rear. I don't know what to look for any more can you help me out? What wrong with the rear ac? Thank you for you helps
CONSEJERO
I have the same problem. Please someonse help! I replaced the compressor, put a vacuum on the system ( no leaks) and refilled, still nothing.
+1
KEN
Hello, everyone!

Yes this is a problem with the rear ac blend door actuator that has gone bad and must be replaced, here is a guide and diagram on how to get the problem fixed.

Please let me know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Best, Ken

-1
BEERFUNSTEN
I had the same problem with my 2007 Escalade. The rear blend door actuator was on the window side of the unit. Had to undo bolts and pull the blower unit to the inside enough to undo the actuators. Pain in the arse but better than removing the whole thing. Most models seem to have them easily accessble but not the 2007, not sure why. Anyway fixed the problem of cool air in the front and hot in the back. Now its all cool.
KEN
Great addition to this thread! Please feel free to help out whenever you are on the site :)

Cheers, Ken
ANDREANA1
  • 2004 CADILLAC ESCALADE
About a month ago I was on my way to Los Angeles. I had air conditioning on and all of a sudden I felt hot air coming from where the gas and brake pedal are. Then it started to blow hot air out of the driver side vent the big one and the passenger air side was fine. Turned off A/C and about two hours or so later it was fine again. Since then it has happened twice. Any ideas what can be wrong? Thank you
The drivers side blend door actuator need to be replaced. Here is a guide that will help you get the problem fixed and can get the part form Amazon:

Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers
+1
KATOO32
Thanks for this post. It fixed my car! I love this site.
JHILLIAR
  • 2005 CADILLAC ESCALADE
System is charged, compressor running. Vents blow plenty of air, but no cool air from either front or rear vents. One of the refrigerant lines is ice cold and the other is warm to hot. Thanks for any help.-Jeff
ASEMASTER6371
What are the exact high and low pressures running?

-1
DIMATTIA23
  • 2005 CADILLAC ESCALADE
Hi-

Sometime my AC blows hot- as if it's in heater mode. It only happens sporadically. No matter whether I adjust the temp manually or set it on auto, it blows hot air. Oddly, the rear AC will still blow cold. I've tried turning the unti on and off and this doesn't work, but if it sits for awhile, chances are it's OK the next time. Very odd. Again, this doesn't happen every time, so I'm wondering if it's not an AC issue but an issue with the control gauges not communicating properly with the AC system, but have no idea. Any help would be much appreciated- thanks!
KHLOW2008
Hi dimattia23,

Thank you for the donation.

The problem is due to a fault with the air mix ( temperature actuator) and there is a possibility a trouble code is recorded. You can retrieve the trouble code with tha aid of a scan tool. Let me know the exact trouble if any found.
+1
JAMES POORE
  • 2003 CADILLAC ESCALADE
  • AWD
The air conditioner in my 2003 Escalade has never worked properly and I have taken it in to Cadillac service every summer. Unless the vehicle is moving, it will not cool. During the hot weather it cools fine while rolling, but, stop at a light or in heavy traffic, it does not cool. As I am about out of my extended warranty period do you have any suggestions I can give the shop so they can fix it next week?
JACK42
That can be low on 134a, an dneeding the pressure (high side) to be higher to make the cold air or it could be a problem with not enough air across the condensor (in front of radiator). Would be very helpful to know th eidling pressures of the a/c system to see what is going on
-2
GROSAS
  • 2000 CADILLAC ESCALADE
Air Conditioning problem
2000 Cadillac Escalade

The air conditioning for the driver's cabin does not get cool, yet the a/c for the backseat and rear cabin does get cool.
FACTORYJACK
Sounds like a possible temp door actuator fault, or HVAC control module. Does it change temperature at all, or does it seem stuck in one position?